Silk Sleeping Bag??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Recently purchased a silk liner for my sleeping bag , both of which are Snugpack, I have tried the liner inside the sleeping bag and must say that there is a noticeable difference in retained bodywarmth , so if its not a stupid question ..

Why arn't sleeping bags , or at least the 'inner' walls made from silk?? what properties does silk lack? I don't know much about fabric properties , the pro's and the cons etc but i thought silk was a good all rounder, tough, endurable,soft , and cheap enough to mass produce ( liner cost me i think £20-£25 ) so what properties does it lack or do some sleeping bags incorporate silk into there structure??

Also what liners do other people reccommend and why? cotton, fleece etc.

cheers

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I'm not *sure* of this but I think that there is a concern about the relative cost of silk. Plus, silk by itself isn't down proof (if we're talking about a down bag).

But you're right, silk liners are awesome. I don't sleep in bags any more (only quilts and blankets) but when I did, I LOVED silk liners.

Enjoy!

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
As the man said, not down proof and bugs and muld love it as a source of food! Silk will degrade very quickly if it comes into contact with contaminants. So a scrap of food or a squased bug left on it and will break it down very quickly. It also will rot a a furious rate if left damp. So moral of the story is wash it after use.

Sandsnakes

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Does it pack small Spoony ?
I've got a silk filled quilt and it's really comfortable. I can also buy sheets of silk wadding intended for quilting and I must admit I've been wondering about making myself an extra warm silk liner instead of the single skin one I have.

cheers,
Toddy

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Does it pack small Spoony ?
I've got a silk filled quilt and it's really comfortable. I can also buy sheets of silk wadding intended for quilting and I must admit I've been wondering about making myself an extra warm silk liner instead of the single skin one I have.

cheers,
Toddy
yes it does, not bad at all, feels luvley as well,

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Pertex liners are easily washable, cheaper than silk and not likely to be eaten by bugs. Had one for years - a Snugpak one, good bit of kit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This bug or mildew thing isn't something I worry about with my sleep kit.
I air thoroughly, brush and wash as needed and then it's stored, loosely, in a holdall in the top of my linen cupboard.
It gets a fair amount of use and I've never had any problems. Just sometimes I need more warmth until I get to sleep.

SInce I don't ache anymore, and I've had all these examples :rolleyes: :D , I really want to try my hammock and tarp, and if I can freeze in a tent.........so the idea of silk really appeals :)

I'd have thought that down proofing ought to be the bags feature not your liner :confused:

cheers,
Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Spooney , What make is your sleeping bag then?? By 'silk filled ' i assume thats what you mean?

V8Mondo

Feb 21, 2009
Ely
Anyone tried a Ripstop Nylon or Polyester liner?

Just a thought...as I have a lot of the stuff to make my Hammocks with.

I was wondering if there are any reasons not to use it as a liner?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE