Silk sleeping bag liners - more warmth?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Hey guys, was camping a couple of nights ago and was feeling the cold more than i expected. Was looking at getting a sleeping bag liner to help keep the heat in (as well as other things). I think that silk would be my choice of material (due to weight) but cant imagine much more warmth from using silk.
Will silk help keep the heat in?

Cheers

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
It does help, I'd guess at maybe 3 or 4 degrees more insulation but hey for the weight that's not bad and 3 or 4 degrees means a lot if you're cold at night. A fleece one will help more (although also more weight), though when it comes to feeling cold in the winter - snow camping and the like - best IMHO for insulation is a second cheap closed cell foam mat to go under you. Weight for weight I'd choose that over any liner though don't get me wrong liners are good. Hope that helps

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I've used silk liners for 20 yrs, they are brilliant and certainly add an extra insulation layer. I managed in two summer bags and a silk liner under my tarp at Woodlore over the Easter weekend. Didn't want to hump my issue bag which I usually find too warm anyway. If you remember it was nearly horizontal hail, sleet and ru**y cold in the evenings! Kept me as warm as toast! They tend not to "stink up" as much as the meraklon (?sp?) one which I used previously in the forces. But then i wear silk liner socks too for the same reason. The only downside is that the bag liner tends to cling but that may be the cut of mine.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I have a silk liner in the sleeping bag to but I must be honest I don't notice much difference!, I mainly use it to keep the sleeping bag clean. And that it does great..

I think that the fleece liners might give you more warmth but this is just a personal view..

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Are you in a hammock listenclear ? Do you have sufficient insulation underneath you such as an underblanket ?

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Are you in a hammock listenclear ? Do you have sufficient insulation underneath you such as an underblanket ?

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Shewie - i was in a tent but have a hammock also -not had the pleasure yet!....
I do have a good mat (alpkit) for under me but my sleeping bag is only 2 season - i thought i'd get away with it the other night but was cold (though not freezing).
My partner has a 3 season bag and i was hoping to line it with the silk for when i use the hammock in colder seasons.
I've also just bought some better thermals - no more messing about ha ha

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The silk liner adds a fair bit to the warmth for incredibly little additional weight, round about 5 oC it's reckoned. I know mine makes a big difference and it was under a tenner from Lidl's :)

cheers,
Toddy

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I have one and really rate it. As others have said can add 4 or 5 extra degrees of warmth.

When you consider the pack size & weight its a no brainer. It also means that you don't have to wash the main bag as often.

Simon

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
When camping we have a liner in our double sleeping bag(Cotton, want some silk ones).

It does seem to make a difference, plus if you carry two, you can get in dirty to warm up. Then just swap liners.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE