Silk Liners?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I have never used a liner in a sleeping bag but I really want to try one out in my nanok -10. The added insulation will help, but the main reason is that I find the nanok inner material quite clamy next to my skin, if thats the way to describe it. I wanted something softer, more wicking.

I have seen the nanok ones are about 30 quid, as are a few on the high street. I have seen them for half the price on ebay, I am wondering is it worth spending more on a nanok, or go cheap.

Thanks

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Anyone know how silk is when it's weat? Is it cold and clammy like cotton ?
How fast does it rot? (cotton rots really fast in my environment, while wool stays cool ;) )

I'm also interested in getting a silk liner... I also saw there are fleece liners on the market.. But why are there no woolen liners? I find my soft woolen blanket really comfortable on the skin.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I use one in any sleeping bag as the silk liner is darned easier to clean than a sleeping bag! Think I paid about £15 or so?? Dries fairly quick when hung up indoors, but I never get this wet sleeping bag syndrome that peole mention so can't comment on that. Prevention is better than cure... ;)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I'm with you there spacemonkey - keeping your sleeping kit dry is right up there with not cutting your hand off with an axe. As for how you'd get your liner wet, well, I can only think of one option, and most people grow out of that... ;)

I think silk is pretty rot-proof, if that's a concern. As for why there are no woolen liners, I suspect that most people are looking for a liner thats lightweight and compact. It's an easy enough thing to make though...

The main problems with liners are (a)getting into them, especially in a hammock, and (b) getting out of them. I can't be the only one who tends to wake up tangled in knots if I use one...

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Well yeah, it's just for storage.. I don't have my stuff storaged in a very dry place. So it's destined to get a bit wet :p

I never got the problem of waking up in a wet sleeping bag though :D

15 pound isn't that much spikey, I've seen much higher prices.. more around 25-30 pound for a silk liner :eek:

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
When I was a wee lad (well, 15 I think!) my folks got me one for Chrimbo. Twas lovely - really liked it and made a welcome change from waking up with down in my bum crack in the morning ('58 patt sleeping bag!). Unfortunately I lost the liner somewhere.

I replaced it with a fleece number. Although I was initially sceptical about the fleece liner due to it's weight and bulk, I now wouldn't go back to silk. Although the silk is soft, it is initially uncomfortably cold when you get into the bag, and can take some time to warm up. In contrast, the fleece is soft and warm from the outset - which means my eyes shut faster! The fleece is also a bit stronger and stretchier than the silk one was, and when your a wriggler (like myself) it makes life more comfortable.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
I've got a fleece one as well - it's seriously toasty! Quite a bit bulkier than a silk one I'd imagine, but good for when it's really cold.

If you're already happy with the warmth of your bag then I wouldn't get one though - I hardly use mine 'cos it's too warm!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought one for around £7 or £8 from Lidl's and have to admit it's brilliant :D Warm, comfortable, easy washed and dried. Adds about 5C to my sleeping bag for a couple of 100g's weight and packs down to the size of a tennis ball :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've got the Lidl silk liner too. It's great. Makes my sleeping bag so much more pleasant. The silk is comfortable, lightweight and feels good next to the skin.

I'd have a hard time going back to cotton.

I also got a really good sleeping bag from Lidl. Some of their stuff is shoddy but some of it is surprisingly good and I've been impressed with the sleeping bag. It wasn't especially cheap but for the performance it compares favourably with more expensive bags.

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Yep, I am going to have to get one. Just one thing, are the fleece lined ones better than the sillk ones. I have found good quality silk ones on ebay for between £6-£25.

Shall I go for a silk one, a genuine army one, or a fleece liner? :confused:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Buckley8219 said:
Yep, I am going to have to get one. Just one thing, are the fleece lined ones better than the sillk ones. I have found good quality silk ones on ebay for between £6-£25.

Shall I go for a silk one, a genuine army one, or a fleece liner? :confused:

An issue one will be cotton. It depends what you want it for.

1. Issue to keep the dos bag clean.
2. Fleece for a really nice warm bag quickly.
3. Silk for warmth/coolness, depending on the time of year, and obviously cleanliness.

I've been told that silk is very hygienic with regards sweat, it somehow breaks it down so that you won't get the stink of a cotton equivalent.

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
I would say the most important quality of silk is its small pack size; I can fit mine in my back pocket. It is just a liner to keep your bag clean really and doesn't add much insulation at all. If you want insulation go for the fleece. If you plan on getting in your bag with boots on you might want to opt for a stronger material (I've often thought of making a pertex liner, but the suggestion of a meraklon liner is also interesting.) I too want a merino liner.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE