Sigs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
cant see why that should be so offensive so as to be removed. but then again if theres no money in it for them then they dont want to know, secret handshakes and old school tie, you know dear boy :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Spoony, please may I draw your attention to rule six of the BushcraftUK forums rules and guidelines and suggest that you familiarise yourself with it, especially the parts highlighted in blue which concern the reason why the links have been removed from your signature and previous post.

6 Advertising:
Guidelines for Commercial companies, Distributors, craftsmen, retailers, schools and website owners:

Advertising is not permitted on the Bushcraft UK forum, outside the makers market and the commercial sales areas (these areas are governed by their own set of rules and guidelines.)

Overtly commercial language pertaining to products in which you have a vested commercial interest is not acceptable.

Members should not post links to their own commercial ventures, websites or forums.
Links to such websites in signatures are permissible (at the discretion of BCUK admin) as long as this is not abused and a clearly visible reciprocal link to Bushcraft UK is placed on the website to which the link points.

We do like to see genuine resources made available to our members, if you are a new company/website or have a new product/service which you think would be of interest to the membership of Bushcraft UK, please contact the administration via info@bushcraftuk.com who will (at there discretion) make an announcement on your behalf.

Moderators will use their judgment as necessary to help the forum run smoothly and to avoid any confusion.

General guidelines for making posts in which you intend to make reference to your own products are as follows:

1. Do not under any circumstances make reference to your own products unless a member has requested information with regards to your product specifically or made a factually incorrect statement about your product or you feel a post must be made in the interests of public safety.

2. Only post your response in the thread in which the query or error/safety issue exists and respond to the query/error/safety issue with a single post.

3. Clearly state that you are a representative of the company at the start of your post

4. Provide only information which is clear, factually correct and serves solely to answer the query or address the error/safety issue

5. Provide the information in an unbiased manner ensuring that you make no statements inferring superiority to any other product

6. Do not under any circumstances make reference to any other manufacturers products or services

7. If you are in any doubt as to the legitimacy of your post, send a copy of the post to an administrator or moderator requesting advice, even if you feel that your post conforms to these guidelines it is generally good practice to inform the admin of your intention to make reference to your products on the forum, in many cases it is more appropriate for the administration to make the statement on your behalf.

Any post which makes reference to your own products or services, which does not conform to the above guidelines will be regarded as an overtly commercial post and will be removed as could membership.

Guidelines for BushcraftUK members:

It is perfectly acceptable for you to post information and links for products and services you feel would be of interest to other members, provided they are not of vested commercial interest to yourself or your associates.

We do however ask that you refrain from repeatedly posting information on products or websites (this will raise suspicion of a vested commercial interest)

You are not permitted advertise personal items for sale or trade outside of the members classifieds or swap shop areas of the forum (these areas are covered by their own set of rules and guidelines)

Moderators will use their judgment as necessary to help the forum run smoothly and to avoid any confusion.

you have been warned repeatedly about having a link to your own website without a reciprocating link, but no immediate action had been taken due to your assurances that reciprocating link would be established, this has yet to happen.

Instead you have, at our insistance removed the link to your site and replaced it with a link to your associates company. This is also in breech of the rules and an abuse of this website, especially since your associate has been Banned permanently from this website for fraudulent posting and advertising for profit.

if you continue in this vain you will also be banned permanently from the BushcraftUK forums.

running bare said:
cant see why that should be so offensive so as to be removed. but then again if there’s no money in it for them then they dont want to know, secret handshakes and old school tie, you know dear boy

actually running bare when it comes to the BCUK website there is no money in it for any of us, we the BCUK staff are all volunteers who use our spare time to maintain this site for your benefit. We do however get very offended when people try to make money off the back of our hard work.

Since you clearly have issue with the way this website is run, you probably won’t mind that your account is now terminated.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Ok i have been asked for a link off tony and only tony, dont know where people keep getting it from i have been asked loads of times, i replied to Tonys email but as yet have had no reply, i had a link to my site in my sig, but members on bes asked if they could link to Bcuk from bes didnt have a prob, fair swap, i linked they linked, no harm, as for a link on the web site yes when i get down with all the other jobs after the crash, so will you post a proper link on here if i put one on bes???
I have no idea about the probs you have with Bearclaw, he posts on bes and sells bushcraft stuff, others buy from him didnt see a prob with it, as bes has no commercial interests. Its you that has the prob with it not me. And your right i should take the time to read all the regs and guide lines, just didnt think i was breaking any.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Other people on this site have links to BES, that is a fair swap for people having links to BCUK in their sigs on BES.

BCUK does not have a Links section. The rule that gets applied to everyone is that if you link to your own web site in a signature, that your site has a reciprocal link to BCUK. That is fair. The rules also make provision for preventing people to link to associate's web pages, this was particularly aimed at people helping to promote the businesses of family members, or those they work with.

Sorry for your confusion.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Thanks for clearing that up, all i asked wasa simple question, so far i have been threatened to be banned by 2 mods, nice. A simple PM at the start would have saved a lot of trouble and someone getting banned :(
can you delete this now please before this gets out of hand to

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
spoony said:
I have no idea about the probs you have with Bearclaw, he posts on bes and sells bushcraft stuff, others buy from him didnt see a prob with it, as bes has no commercial interests. Its you that has the prob with it not me.

no Spoony you and gary (the owner of bearclaw, a comercial company) run the BES website together, he is currently a member of the BES staff.

that makes him your assiociate, with his own commercial interest which you are promoting.

so when you put a link to his company's website in your signature you are knowingly promoting an associates business.

dont play dumb Spoony, it wont wash here

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
There isn’t an issue here, the rules that have been up on the site for a very long time state one of the things we expect in return for the use of the site. This is something that everyone gets pulled up on as it’s one of the things that’s a level playing field for everyone, no bias, it’s just how it is.

It’s not a negotiation thing, where someone only has to do it if there’s link to their site. If we had a links section then I’d put up links, what we have got is links solely to schools and education based organisations and that’s it. In the future we will probably have a links section to other sites.

There’s been plenty of people that have had sigs removed or have put up a link from a site they have interests in or are associated with. There’s rarely any issue with it as it’s straight forward, if people want to use a free resource they give a little in return, it is a shame that there are those that don’t want to give a little for something they use but there have been a number over the past years.

One of the things that’s created this issue is that there have been times in the past that people are reminded about the reciprocal link, In this case spoony I think you’ll find that it’s even used for a humorous quip / quasi-quoted here on your forums by one of your moderators who’s obviously read that a request for a link was made a while ago by one of the moderators here in a thread about BES being down. I think that as people have seen you adding links to your links section they’ve been surprised that you didn’t take the opportunity to put a link in then.

My apologies if you were waiting for me to get back to you about the email you sent in reply to mine, I had not realise that there was a question in there about links as I had mentioned the rules in my previous email, I thought that you were making a humorous quip as you had a smile face. Sorry my mistake, as I’ve said above, when we have a dedicated links section on the site I’ll be in a position to put up other links.

Originally Posted by running bare
cant see why that should be so offensive so as to be removed. but then again if there’s no money in it for them then they dont want to know, secret handshakes and old school tie, you know dear boy

You’ve obviously been listening to too many conspiracy theory people, if there was money in this it would be a lot easier to humour people that make such ignorant comments. As for it being offensive, it’s just something that we don’t like to be associated with. If you don’t know why that’s because we generously removed lots of references that would explain why.

People like you get far more out of the forums than those that spend their time making it a great resource and keeping it going, they’re the ones that work hard and give of themselves generously for no gain other than the wish to help make a resource available to people, they should be praised, not subjected to snide remarks.

Anyway, as I said before, there’s no issue, there’s just the rules being followed. I hadn’t planned on this coming to a head like this but that’s life. The level playing field is restored and those that have been contacting me about being hypocritical in allowing sigs to contain links that aren't reciprocated when they were not allowed will hopefully be appeased now :D

As an additional comment – there’s no ill feeling between sites, even though some people will try to say there is. This is a minor thing in the life of Bushcraft UK ,it’s just an issue with a sig, let’s not blow it out of proportion, I don’t need an inbox full of PM’s and emails about why this and why that. :D

Cheers
Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE