Sigg Oval steel bottles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Spotted one of these on offer in Tkmax the other day (about £6) and was wondering if people thought they were any good and worth the price?

The ones I saw were .6L oval shape and made of stainless steel rather than aluminium. (They aren't the ones with a metal mug - this is just for the bottle)

The bottles were boxed up so it was a bit hard to assess how heavy they are likely to be but I'm assuming they are quite a bit heavier than the almost-helium-filled aluminium ones. Any feedback from owners?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
They are just dandy imo. Flat bottles carry well in shoulder bags. Perfect for day hikes.

sigg_flasks1b.jpg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Interesting. I was talking about these just the other night with El Ratbaggo; one for Stags' Breath, one for Sloe vodka, one for sloe gin, one for cherry vodka, one for.......etc!!

:D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I adore the one with the sprung cap - do you have a source Hoodoo please?

I have the new oval one shown and an original thanks to a kind member here (the original had cork stoppers and a nesting mug with no seam so can be cooked in).

Both fit excellently in a smock pocket

Red

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Just mailed my mate - with luck there may be a GB on the cards.... we'll have to wait and see ;)

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
Thanks for the comments.

I picked one up the next time I saw one.

Overall, seems pretty good. Quite bulky for the volume but the flat profile makes it easy to fit in small packs without it digging in your back. Not a bad size for a day trip.

They weigh about 200g empty so quite a bit heavier than a cheap plastic bottle but far more robust.

Only problem I noticed was once the bottle was part full, the water sloshing around in it makes quite a loud "ploink" noise on the metal sides!

Overall, not a bad buy at the offer price but wouldn't bother at full price of £15 - it is just a water bottle afterall.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fair comments - makes a dandy hip flask though (if a little small) :)

can you conjugate the verb "to ploink" for me though?

Red

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have heard a few bad things about the new stainless bottles. SIGG are apparently getting them made out in China, as opposed to the aluminium which are still Swiss.

Still the vintages look great, but the plain vintage bottle (without any image) seems impossible to find in the UK.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I have the oval in steel and aluminum plus the Vintage flask (thanks to Hoodoo). I really like the oval aluminum for a water bottle as it fits my camera backpack side mesh pocket very well and slips nicely in my Swiss gas mask camera bag too.

walkbag4367sn9.jpg

The flask is very very nice. Contents of mine is only Laphroaig though.

I think the red and blue oval stainless steel bottles are discontinued...so if you want those better snap them up now. They are not all that much heavier than the aluminum ones.

Gailainne

Life Member
I've got the one with the cup, I did however end up making a pouch for it, its just a bit too awkward a size for a jacket pocket. If I remember right Jeremy at Islay birding always carried his Pre-mac trekker in its pouch alongside the Sigg on his belt. Nice compact system.

CIMG0001.jpg

Stephen (Who has STILL to finish the pouch)

I have the black bottle/cup set. They're nice, but I was a little disappointed by the rough finish on the bottom of the cup (just could have been finished a little better IMO). I was also a little dismayed to see upon taking the bottle out of my pack my first time out with it that there was a dent in the seam of the bottle. Right where the main walls start to taper up towards the spout. Didn't recall any sort of rough treatment, didn't recall slamming into a door jamb, dropping my pack on the floor.

It's a nice piece, but sadly I think if SIGG had continued to make them in Switzerland instead of farming it out to China, it would have been a much nicer piece.

And it's also too heavy to carry around in a pocket.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Thought you might be interested in this guys.

P9160071s.jpg

I've got to admit it was inspired by similar designs by T1tch and Wayland but it was a good leather work learning exercise. The stitching is artificial sinue from the group buy and the additional leather loop at the back is for fitting to a caribina.

Red/g4ghb
You could have had a look at this on the Mors' course I had it with me by the camp fire.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE