sick hunters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
But...beautiful woodlands are preserved as "cover" for game birds. These are all eaten but the shooters (tossers to a man) shoot mainly for sport - at a cost of >£1,000 per gun, per day. Raptors, deer, badger, fox, weasels and others get to live in these woods too. I get the immense privilege on living on such an estate.

The owner has told me that, as soon as the shooting stops, he clear fells the trees for timber, grubs out the roots and plants a cash crop. He has to make a living after all.

Is that what we want?

Not me - they preserve beautiful natural landscapes with their sport. As fishemen do the rivers. Not my bag but damn it all I will fight tooth and nail to prevent another farm going under and having to grow mono culture arable crops for PC tree huggers. The result of such growth is more woodland removed and more habitat destroyed.

Red

But...beautiful woodlands are preserved as "cover" for game birds. These are all eaten but the shooters (tossers to a man) shoot mainly for sport - at a cost of >£1,000 per gun, per day. Raptors, deer, badger, fox, weasels and others get to live in these woods too. I get the immense privilege on living on such an estate.

The owner has told me that, as soon as the shooting stops, he clear fells the trees for timber, grubs out the roots and plants a cash crop. He has to make a living after all.

Is that what we want?

Not me - they preserve beautiful natural landscapes with their sport. As fishemen do the rivers. Not my bag but damn it all I will fight tooth and nail to prevent another farm going under and having to grow mono culture arable crops for PC tree huggers. The result of such growth is more woodland removed and more habitat destroyed.

Red

Beautiful woodlands may be preserved as "cover" for game birds in a lot of cases but this is not true in all. I live close to longleat (http://www.longleat.co.uk/) and center parks (also located in the Forest) and they seem to do well on the tourist trade.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So your choices are:

Game shooting (with woodland)

or entire woodland ripped out and wheat fields.

This is the very real choice faced by this farm (50 or so miles from you)

Vote now.............

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My point exactly :)

I can't see the point personally - the same as I can't see the point in crushing lumps of metal through a sentient beings face (aka angling). But anglers keep rivers clean and shooters keep woodland and wild habitat.

Townies just whitter and whinge but wont pay thousands of pounds each to manitain wild lands.

So - given the choice - the tweedies can shoot here and keep working men on the land, trees instead of sterile cereal crops, and wonderful natural habitat.

If they shoot a few stupid birds like chinese pheasant and red legged grouse (that are bred and released for the purpose and are imports anyway) - so be it.

Red

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
bloody hell, this thread could give cocodomol a headache. I think everyones views are clear, neither are going to convert either side so can the subject be dropped

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
oh and also
Red... just out of interest

what are your views on trophy hunting in general?
Blimey Rob, what a great post!

Genuinely - thank you!

The answer is YES! I'll put a more detailed post on in a minute but what a fantastic question ...I'll post more in a moment

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay answer one. Trophy hunting is...not black and white.

A great example is..big game. There are over populations of "big 5" animals in game reserves.

Now here are two choices.

One - rangers "cull" herds. This depletes old males and controls herds.

Poor starving people will still hunt elephants for ivory with AK47s of course.

Or you can let some rich pillock hunt the animals to be culled.

This lets them take a trophy. It also encourages the local population to protect those "trophy" animals as they are woth far more as trophies than they are are on the black market for ivory. Literally poachers become gamekeepers.

IF the money is ploughed into the local economy and the value of protecting game is directly reflected into the provision of food, schools and healthcare, (as well as species protection) then its fine in my book

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
is there any way i can help stop factory farms?

apart from buying free range eggs?

Be very careful as to source

Some terms are really, really confusing

"free range" is better than "egg", in turn, "barn reared" is better than "egg" but not as good as "free range".

Right so free range means happy chickens wandering about in a nice field yes? NO!

Look up the meaning of the term (legally). Organic free range is far better!

Better yet, find a local producer. Go look at their chooks. Are they out and about? Do they have nice roosts?

Can you raise a couple yourself?

If you can, I'll provide al the books etc. you need!

I prefer duck eggs - and I'm lucky enough to source from a local lass who keeps me suppied - lovely eggs - far better yolk content ...great with soldiers!

As for other animals - dairy will make you weep!

Pigs - should be UK bred and outdoor reared- still not great but better than most

What else can I tell you?

Red

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
oh no... i meen, we keep chickens as it is they are free to run about in the garden all they want...

what im thinking about is helping stop factory farming

because its pretty much impossiable... right?

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
Okay answer one. Trophy hunting is...not black and white.

A great example is..big game. There are over populations of "big 5" animals in game reserves.

Now here are two choices.

One - rangers "cull" herds. This depletes old males and controls herds.

Poor starving people will still hunt elephants for ivory with AK47s of course.

Or you can let some rich pillock hunt the animals to be culled.

This lets them take a trophy. It also encourages the local population to protect those "trophy" animals as they are woth far more as trophies than they are are on the black market for ivory. Literally poachers become gamekeepers.

IF the money is ploughed into the local economy and the value of protecting game is directly reflected into the provision of food, schools and healthcare, (as well as species protection) then its fine in my book

Red

thats very good.

i cant argue with that ^^

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
oh no... i meen, we keep chickens as it is they are free to run about in the garden all they want...

what im thinking about is helping stop factory farming

because its pretty much impossiable... right?

Well I suppose you could try to affect legislation and regulations, try to cause a sea-change in public opinion and remove the market for intensively-produced food, get stinking rich and buy all such farms and shut them down, or join a terrorist organisation that claims it's interested in animal welfare. I don't recommend the latter and the rest are far from likely to succeed.

Unfortunately there are some things we don't like that we just have to live with.

Feb 23, 2009
Hampshire
isn't the Albino deer gene a negetive and if managing the estate correctly be the most likely choice to cull first?

(correct me if i'm mistaken)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Well I suppose you could try to affect legislation and regulations, try to cause a sea-change in public opinion and remove the market for intensively-produced food, get stinking rich and buy all such farms and shut them down, or join a terrorist organisation that claims it's interested in animal welfare. I don't recommend the latter and the rest are far from likely to succeed.

Unfortunately there are some things we don't like that we just have to live with.

conventional cages in battery farms will be banned in the EU from 2012. All battery farms will have to start using 'enriched cages'. Its not perfect but its a step in the right direction. Next we can lobby for a minimum of free range standard.

http://www.fwi.co.uk/Articles/2008/...l-cages-for-egg-laying-hens-to-go-in-2012.htm

It'd be good if we could convince the general population that we don't all have to eat meat every day. That would also take a bit of the pressure off.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Strange that there's such a negative attitude towards battery chickens, when the battery rabbit still appears to be quite popular!

duracell_bunny.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE