sick hunters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
"death warrant for pearl"

mom just showed me an article in the news. You people probably read or heard about it but a exceptionally rare white roe deer is bieng auctioned for the right to kill it.
Dont you guys think its really stupid as this guy wants it for a trophy.
sure its rare, but buying it for 6000 squids just to show off to your friends is disgusting.
wouldnt a picture of it be alot more rewarding.
but what sickens me the most is how people approach this.
mom told me some bloke on the radio said that "it is a freak and should be shot"
pearsonally i think they ought to be shot for calling such a beautiful animal a freak,
they must be a freak themselves if they want to kill it.
to quote from the newspaper it sais: "Jocoby scoffed at the deer bieng dubbed Pearl." we wont insult are feelings for this animal by calling it rabbie the roe, or Binky the buck. if someone shoots it, we might name it Deliciouse the deer"
how sick can you get?
also i think it gives hunters a bad name. For example my mom said that she had 0 respect for these hunting blokes now. which i agree with cos tbh people like this seem not to respect the animal at all. IMO i respect someone that respects there deer.
sorry to rant but dont you think this is really stupid...
id rather shoot that German guy than let this deer die.

sorry for rants i just think its dumb... you guys agree?

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
albinos and sports are not really that rare genetic variatioins in a population.
i think a lot of this is media hype. console yourself that deer are killed all the time for reasons varying from sport to population control or often both. sometimes the money raised is ploughed back into managing/maintaining the health of the remaining population.Possibly the real victim here is whoever will pay that amount of cash just to shoot a slightly different coloured beast.Theyre all the same under the skin and equally deserving of our respect.Many hunters understand this ,but there is always the odd idiot.please dont judge them by this one example.The real idiots in many of these scenarios are the journalists who ignore the real issues and just go for the sensationalism.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Rob
If the deer is killed properly with a single shot I will have no problems with it being hunted and the hide and meat being used.
Alan

I don't think the usage of the animal is the issue, rather the reason why someone wants to shoot it. I mean 6 grand to shoot a deer goes way beyond usage for food. Its more like, "i like your fur and head, i want your fur and head, i will pay 6 grand to shoot you"

Hell, you can get somebody killed for less than 2 grand.

Why don't they go bleach some other fur. Doubt anyone but them would know.

Edit, Just want to state i am not against hunting and do myself.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
"death warrant for pearl"

mom just showed me an article in the news. You people probably read or heard about it but a exceptionally rare white roe deer is bieng auctioned for the right to kill it.
Dont you guys think its really stupid as this guy wants it for a trophy.
sure its rare, but buying it for 6000 squids just to show off to your friends is disgusting.
wouldnt a picture of it be alot more rewarding.
but what sickens me the most is how people approach this.
mom told me some bloke on the radio said that "it is a freak and should be shot"
pearsonally i think they ought to be shot for calling such a beautiful animal a freak,
they must be a freak themselves if they want to kill it.
to quote from the newspaper it sais: "Jocoby scoffed at the deer bieng dubbed Pearl." we wont insult are feelings for this animal by calling it rabbie the roe, or Binky the buck. if someone shoots it, we might name it Deliciouse the deer"
how sick can you get?
also i think it gives hunters a bad name. For example my mom said that she had 0 respect for these hunting blokes now. which i agree with cos tbh people like this seem not to respect the animal at all. IMO i respect someone that respects there deer.
sorry to rant but dont you think this is really stupid...
id rather shoot that German guy than let this deer die.

sorry for rants i just think its dumb... you guys agree?

Is this april 1st or some other wind up? You sound like a confused peta groupie with your irational animal centred value system, like its "ok" to kill those weird hunters but this deer is special :confused: . Arent you a freak for wanting to kill people? I dont know where you live with your "mom" but round here there are lots of deer, way too many, they cause road accidents, and damage trees and crops in fields. They have no natrual predators, I dont have a problem with them being shot. If someone is trying to make an issue of an unusual albino one thats up to them, I dont see its any of your or my business :) .

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Is this april 1st or some other wind up? You sound like a confused peta groupie with your irational animal centred value system, like its "ok" to kill those weird hunters but this deer is special :confused: . Arent you a freak for wanting to kill people? I dont know where you live with your "mom" but round here there are lots of deer, way too many, they cause road accidents, and damage trees and crops in fields. They have no natrual predators, I dont have a problem with them being shot. If someone is trying to make an issue of an unusual albino one thats up to them, I dont see its any of your or my business :) .

Give the kid a break. He's only 14.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I guess your heart's in the right place, but deer are killed all the time, for a variety of reasons. It was on a stalking estate, good chance it would get shot whether it was a white deer or not, so I hardly see how it makes a big difference, the guys just making extra money off of it. How 'bout we pity the guy who's daft enough to shell out 6k to shoot a single deer? Tbf I also think the stalker himself said that he wasn't into trophies - IIRC.

To be honest, I personally would call it delicious the deer over most other names. I love a bit of venison, and I agree that this is just a PC media jumping onto something that just ain't that big a deal, it's just a stalker making extra money off a deer on his estate. Wouldnt be surprised if it got poached by someone else first anyway.

For the record, I was 14 not too long ago, and from experience I can say quite safely that the sooner you get past the "you shoot it I shoot you!" mentality, the better off you'll be fella!

Pete

PS: Natural selection is against it, too.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I listened to this on the radio earlier and it seems that the deer manager on the estate that has the shooting rights for the deer will NOT be allowing anyone to shoot the deer and is stepping up watches due to the threat of poachers due to the media coverage. Hope that puts a few folk at ease. Once again the media seems to be doing more harm than good. :banghead:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I don't see the problem
we have a licensed stalker who has shooting rights for the land.
The deer in question is a legitimate target for a hunt.
So people are willing to pay for the stalking rights?
It's no-one else's business.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I don't see the problem
we have a licensed stalker who has shooting rights for the land.
The deer in question is a legitimate target for a hunt.
So people are willing to pay for the stalking rights?
It's no-one else's business.

I agree with you but according to the deer manager on the radio this afternoon they will not be killing the deer as it is such a rare sight. I stalk deer and have no problem with it, even killing the white one if if they wish to do so. I am mearley stating what was said on the radio. Cheers.

If wolves were introduced again to roam in Scotland 'which I am all for', then yes, natural selection would probably state that the white one would be taken out first. As well as the fact that animals with such abnormalities tend to be weaker and less healthy 'fact' it will probably come to a natural end sooner than the rest of the herd. I'm watching this thread quite closely as I might use it as part of my assessment for my countryside management degree ;) not often something like this comes up lol.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Give the kid a break. He's only 14.

Well I am sorry if I offended him (or your good self Eric). But for a 14 year old (I didnt know that from what he posted (and is it relevant any way) :confused: ) he appears to have strong opinions, and has posted them up on the forum for all to study, and I responded to it.
To answwer your question Rob tangtent, no I dont agree with you :)

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Rob Tangent: I do not see what your problem is with deer stalking. It is more of a population control than anything else as the deer's natural predators are no longer present in the British isles. Please read up on the ethics and reasons of stalking before entering a comment as this misleads others. Thanks.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
i see where the guy is coming from. yes I understand deer need to be hunted (and recently bought a whole one meself for the freezer:D But I cant stand the mentality of wanting ownership over something. "ooh I want to shoot that because its different" Its like when I see articles like "worlds biggest pig shot" or "worlds biggest crocodile shot" great, one less thing for the rest of us to enjoy in nature because one man (and yes usually a man) wanted ownership of it himself.
I remember seeing a programe in america once on taxidermy. They have whole competitions of it. This guy and his kid went out and shot a deer then spent literally weeks getting the taxidermy of it exactly right . then the judges come round and say "beautiful, very life like, it looks totally alive!"

Well I can't help but think they missed something!
And as for having a go at the opening poster for his `strong` opinion , Ive always noticed how touchy hunters are at any critisism of their sport. calm it down guys, just because somebody disagrees does not make them an animal rights extremist (PETA)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
...pearsonally i think they ought to be shot for calling such a beautiful animal a freak,

Couldn't agree more...Rarrrr....Death to all sickos and extremists :AR15firin
errr
Uh-oh, :theyareon: that'd be me too then :togo:

Personally I am not all that into the idea of trophy hunting, but I can see why some people are. The mere act of wanting to hunt for a trophy isn't necessarily a bad thing. In many parts of the world the money brought in by what some might see as rich folk with nothing better to do than go out and kill things, has really helped to protect the environment. Some of those hunters may be folk that you wouldn't want to spend time with, but it is so in every group of people.

It really isn't worth getting worked up over. If you gotta get worked up, look into the Tibetan tiger skins, Musk deer poaching, the plight of the Amur leopard, hey, just pick a critter from here...http://www.extinctanimal.com/endangered/endangered_mammals.htm

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
And as for having a go at the opening poster for his `strong` opinion , Ive always noticed how touchy hunters are at any critisism of their sport. calm it down guys, just because somebody disagrees does not make them an animal rights extremist (PETA)

Well the boy asked for it in my view ("sorry for rants i just think its dumb... you guys agree?") and some of his wording definately sounded "petaesque" IMHO
And your good self seems to have assumed that I am a "hunter"?? Actually I am not, I dont hunt any more, although I did 25-30 years ago (when I was about 12-18 :lmao: ) with shotguns and rifles. I dont bother any more, not from any moral outrage animal rights hunting ban outlook, just that other stuff takes up more time these days. But if other folks do that is fine, its their conscience and their business and they have my support:)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I'm a member of peta. People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. :D

tbh i have no probs with deer hunting as long as the deer is used properly, i do find the auction a bit sickening though, life must be respected not treated with such callous flippancy.
pretty sad imo.
pete

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Hunters are more concerned about the well being of animals and their ecosystem than the general public.

It's what I call enlightened selfishness - they have the same interests as the animals they hunt - a flourishing animal population and their natural habitat.

We mustn't confuse hunters with the poachers who will wipe out a species for profit.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Well I am sorry if I offended him (or your good self Eric). But for a 14 year old (I didnt know that from what he posted (and is it relevant any way) :confused: ) he appears to have strong opinions, and has posted them up on the forum for all to study, and I responded to it.
To answwer your question Rob tangtent, no I dont agree with you :)

I wasn't so much worried that you'd offend him, rather that you might scare him away from this forum with an aggressive response. I think his age is relevant (it's in his profile). Young kids that do show an interest in bushcraft should be encouraged wherever possible, and while I understand your response, and actually agree with much of what you said, I saw his original post as through the mindset of an inexperienced youngster who needs to learn much about what real life is all about. That's the only reason I asked you to 'give him a break'.

Eric

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I think I see where Rob Tangtent is coming from.

having said that let me just state that I am all for hunting and I agree that it helps keep bloated populations in check and that many hunters are excellent custodians of the wildlife they hunt.

It is the attitude of some (probably a very few) hunters that animals are only there as a kind of toy for there amusement that does upset me. If you respect the animals you hunt then you will treat them with respect and I have no problem with that. It is the totally disrespectful way some hunters talk about and treat the animals they hunt that I don't like. A specially the ones that wont to kill something just because it is rare or unusual that make me feel uncomfortable.

Anyhow if you cant be passionate about things when your 14 when can you be?:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE