sick hunters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
i agree with that. i worded that last bit wrong... i ment that my personal opinion is Hunting is wrong unless you can use as much resources as possiable ,sinew chord, meat, antler for knife handle- flint knapping- making a whistle, deerhide for a rug or turning into other useful items.
i agree with what you said and there is a differnce between killing and hunting...
my porblem is with someone killing something just for either the sake of it (chavs stamping on insects) or just to show off to your friends (trophy hunting)
i disagree with trophy hunting but thats just my opinion, many would disagree. but thats fine
so dont get me wrong that hunting is bad, i just think you have to fully justify killing that animal.
i (like most "ominvores") eat meat probably everyday. I think it is fair to eat meat because that is the way the world has worked since it was created. now obviousely some of the pigs "carcass" is going to be left for waste. now i have no idea how this could be fixed because i dont think that people will start buying pigs snouts and A--holes to fry up in a sunday breakfast. it just isnt going to happen?
My problem is if you are going to take an animal from its natural habitat you should do your best to respect this animal.
thats just my opinion

I think the important thing to remember is that an animal doesn't care why it is killed.

What an animal understands is how it lives. Farmed animals have often a miserable existance. This YOU can change by your choices and purchases.

Hunting affects the last few seconds or at worst minutes of an animals life. Buying battery farmed eggs condemns an animal to years of misery and suffering.

The choices we all make affect animal wellbeing. If we care about animals we should reflect it in our own choices - including the "I didn't know" choices - like fast food and ingredients. If we cannot, or will not, choose to alleviate years of suffering whilst animals are alive, I think there is no point in debating the manner of their death.

This choice is one that you, and I, make every day.

Red

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Hummm, The death of an albino deer to trophy hunting, to inline black powder rifles, to swine a-holes, to testicles. Wonder what Freud would have to say about this stream of consciousness? LOL

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Nowadays most sausages probably have synthetic casings, but traditionally intestines were used. Still not too hard to find haggis in a sheep stomach IIRC.

I doubt you could eat every part of any animal, simpler organisms like mussels excluded. Intestines, I highly doubt are "good eating" - they're used to hold other things, and they are edible as a bonus. Therein lies the problem with some other internal organs, you'll find little/no nutritional value, probably an unpleasant texture as well. I'm not sure whether there'd be a problem eating something like the pancreas, though I wouldn't be the one to try it, and I wouldn't care to try spleen either. Best eating is the meat, liver, kidneys, heart and lungs, though I've heard good things about brains, eyeballs and the 'rocky mountain oysters' - none of which I care to try!

Fat also has its uses of course!

Pete

Lungs are good, heart is fantastic, kidneys rock, tripe (stomach) is good if cooked with plenty of flavouring as are intestines - very popular with the Chinese, hmmm - Beef Intestines with Chilli and Black Beans.

Sweetmeats which are variously pancreas, gonads or even occasionally the thymus gland - are good eating.

Many of the internal organs are loaded with more minerals etc than straight muscle tissue - liver's a good example.

Not tried brains, but it's loaded with fat and protein so would make good eating too - so long as you can avoid prions ;)

Spleen and Gall-bladder - I'd avoid and the bladder I'd expect to be too tough to be worth eating but I'd never tried it.

Then there's bone-marrow, so I reckon apart from a couple of bits that might not be worth eating, it's all good to eat except the hair, teeth and hooves.

P.S. At the risk of being pelted with Bear Grylls shaped rocks, in some cases you can eat the stomach contents too - hehehe - seeds from birds crops etc.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
What an animal understands is how it lives. Farmed animals have often a miserable existance. This YOU can change by your choices and purchases.

(snip)

The choices we all make affect animal wellbeing. If we care about animals we should reflect it in our own choices - including the "I didn't know" choices - like fast food and ingredients. If we cannot, or will not, choose to alleviate years of suffering whilst animals are alive, I think there is no point in debating the manner of their death.

Red

Amen, Red!

Your point is one of the reasons why I'm a vegetarian and still hunt. I don't feel comfortable support most modern industrial meat farming practices.

I only hunt deer, hogs and rabbit because these are environmental necessities in North America -- the population must be thinned. When I harvest a dear, the meat goes to friends and everything else, bones, hide, sinew etc. I keep for projects.

I don't eat the meat that I harvest because, frankly, once you get out of the habit of eating meat, it holds little interest for you unless you're starving. So why hunt at all? I just thing people should know how to hunt, my friends love the meat and now that we've depleted the predator population (a tragedy, that) we must hunt some species to maintain balance.

But I'm not personally comfortable (no I'm not telling anyone else how to live here, its just my choice) supporting the contemporary meat industry and its practices. Plus there is the environmental damage industrial meat production entails, but that's another argument....

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
I think the important thing to remember is that an animal doesn't care why it is killed.

Hunting affects the last few seconds or at worst minutes of an animals life. Buying battery farmed eggs condemns an animal to years of misery and suffering.

Red

i havnt had a macdonalds ect. since i was about 7-8 when i went to a party.
we keep our own chickens so eggs arnt a problem but when mom buys a chicken its always free range. your point about mayo is good. i love mayonaise in a sandwich, i never thought about the eggs.
same with vegetables, organic ect.
my point is that when we do a shop. We sit there for ages reading the back of the packet to check for palm oil.
your point about how the animal dosnt care why it is killed makes sence but to me that dosnt matter. its more the respect of it.
To me its almost like those horriable old freak circus things. were people with dissabilitys are caged up and shown off to people. infact its exactly the same. i just dont see how it is fair to the animal to be "sentanced to death", thats what for me makes the differnce between your examples about mayo ect. its how the deer is dying for not a good reason. how it hasnt done anything wrong yet it is bieng "executed". its just two differnt opinions.
Its true that probably the deer dosnt care what is done with its body but no matter, it is still important to respect what YOU have killed. T me respecting isnt paying vast prices to hang something on your wall. but others will disagree
well just have to shake our hands on this one and move on.

trail2

Nomad
Nov 20, 2008
Canton S.Dakota (Ex pat)
I guess you could say that the 1200 hogs an hour that run through the packing house have done nothing either.
Another thought! Why do natural casing meat products cost more than plastic casing?:)
Jon R.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Rob,
Perhaps the sickest aspect of your post is your repeated references to wanting to shoot people!
person-smiley-9589.gif

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
From where I'm sitting, I can see hanging on my walls: Several whitetails, a pronghorn, a greater kudu, two warthogs, a javelina, a sable, an impala, two caribou, a moose, and a fisher.

Guess that makes me a trophy hunter.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
From where I'm sitting, I can see hanging on my walls: Several whitetails, a pronghorn, a greater kudu, two warthogs, a javelina, a sable, an impala, two caribou, a moose, and a fisher.

Guess that makes me a trophy hunter.

and somebody with an artistic flair for hat stands and coat hooks. Would love to see a picture, linked to another server not hosted here as some persons of nervous dispostion may need a cuddle...

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
peace stop waning for an argument

i think you should lay off the fizz drinks sunshine, if you feel that every comment that does not agree with your views is a direct attack on you then you are in for a big shock when you reach the real world. Well done on starting a mostly well balanced debate but give it a rest before you over stretch peoples patience.

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
"linked to another server not hosted here as some persons of nervous dispostion may need a cuddle..."

that sounded like you were having a dig at me

like suggesting im all babyish ect...

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
"linked to another server not hosted here as some persons of nervous dispostion may need a cuddle..."

that sounded like you were having a dig at me

like suggesting im all babyish ect...

Oblio posted a picture of a moose or elk he had shot a while ago, this was in another thread and before you kicked this one of. The picture was removed because people objected to the image of an animal being hoisted up by a crane, i was fine with it, you see more graphic pictures on the news of humans, but this is a family forum, so i guess such images should only be shown by a link and hosted elsewhere.

I dont need to point out if someone is being a baby, i let their own actions on how they communicate with others speak for themselves.

"death warrant for pearl"

mom just showed me an article in the news. You people probably read or heard about it but a exceptionally rare white roe deer is bieng auctioned for the right to kill it.
Dont you guys think its really stupid as this guy wants it for a trophy.
sure its rare, but buying it for 6000 squids just to show off to your friends is disgusting.
wouldnt a picture of it be alot more rewarding.
but what sickens me the most is how people approach this.
mom told me some bloke on the radio said that "it is a freak and should be shot"
pearsonally i think they ought to be shot for calling such a beautiful animal a freak,
they must be a freak themselves if they want to kill it.
to quote from the newspaper it sais: "Jocoby scoffed at the deer bieng dubbed Pearl." we wont insult are feelings for this animal by calling it rabbie the roe, or Binky the buck. if someone shoots it, we might name it Deliciouse the deer"
how sick can you get?
also i think it gives hunters a bad name. For example my mom said that she had 0 respect for these hunting blokes now. which i agree with cos tbh people like this seem not to respect the animal at all. IMO i respect someone that respects there deer.
sorry to rant but dont you think this is really stupid...
id rather shoot that German guy than let this deer die.

sorry for rants i just think its dumb... you guys agree?

I totally agree with every line (except shooting that German guy or anyone else). Killing for a laugh then getting paid for it is blatant ignorance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE