shrinking a swanni

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I got another swanndri and it was a proper bargain, but its kinda huge lol.

I know the sensible option would be to sell it, but its a colour ive never seen before, and i kinda like. but its still too big. So i was wondering if anybodys ever had had any success either power shrinking or retailoring, any tips appreciated

cheers, Paul

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I also got a swanni, that was huge, got another in the same size thats to small ! you figure.
I managed to shrink the 1st one down in stages.

Wash/wet throughly, then tumble dry for 20/30 mins max. Then leave to dry, when dry measure say, pit to pit, and just carry on like that, better small and often than tumble dry for to long and have it fit action man !

Ijust need to know how to enlarge one !, or maybe just sell it, but i like the colour, or lose weight, hmmm...

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
swanni sizing is a mystery to me. years ago i had a large that fit me perfectly, then i got a 2xl which was exactly the same size, this new one is a 3xl, and theres room to light a fire inside it :rolleyes:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Have noticed that some "swanni's" on ebay are now advertised as coming from China, i think it was Lurch who said thats where production was moving to. Mind i tend to think they make them, then chuck them all in a pile then put size labels on by guess work !.

the Bison shirt i have, was spot on for size, so it can be done.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
i think a problem with ebay swannis is that you dont know how much shrikage as already happened, cos the label still says the same. definitely worth getting the seller to measure.

quick laugh, i saw a barbour wax coat for sale on there recently, the seller said it had only been worn twice and was spotless, but for good measure, she had bunged it in the washing machine! lol :lmao:

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
The best way to shrink wool is to 'scare' it. Hand wash it warm (40 C.) and then rinse it in cold water. Tumbling dry is the finishing touch.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I bought a swannie afew months ago in a size medium and the thing was bloody enormous!! Ended up swapping it on here.

I now wish to buy a new one and am hoping that if i order a small then it will be ok.
How small are the smalls? Does anybody know or is it just potluck what size you actually get?

Dan

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
As trampy says get them to mesuare it. There's a guy got some for sale on ebay at the mo, and he does give the size (approx) pit to pit.

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
I washed mine in the washing machine and ignored the washing instructions,I actually washed it on the next setting up so the water was hotter than they advize.This shrunk my swanny to the correct size,I can`t say I wasn`t worried though in case it came out action man size!
Litefoot.:)

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I did it, and it worked a treat. I washed it at 60 degrees and then tumble dried it, checking it each time the 20p's ran out. Reckon it gone from a 3xl to somewhere between an xl and 2xl. shrank a little bit in length too, but its bush shirt so it had plenty to spare. Fits perfect now. well happy

OutbackAl

Aug 31, 2006
Ireland
How small are the smalls? Does anybody know or is it just potluck what size you actually get?

Dan

Hi Dan
I've got a size small and it fits my 42" chest. I had the same problem when looking at sizes on different websites, got in touch with woodlore and they confirmed it was 42". Took the gamble and it payed off. Its a perfect fit over a ullfrotte base layer.
It measures - pit to pit 21" , pit to cuff 18" , neck to hem 33".
All the best
Al

Hi,

I've had a few swannis over the years and have a similar problem as you now - I inherited a spare new (but it's far too big).

My advice would be to not wash it too hot (as it could damage the wool fibre) ((might turn it to a felt type texture)) which is undesireable.

I would have a chat with a few local tailors (or try yourself) and re tailor it.

I've sucessfully done this with several items of gear. As long as care is taken and high quality thread is used you should easily be able to use it as normal.

But again - don't be tempted to wash it "hot" you could end up spoling it.

Hope this helps

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
I just give my wool clothes to my wife to wash and request she doesn't shrink them. 100% of the time it will come back small enough for one of the kids to wear.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE