Show us your bimble bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Well I don't have any photos of the load out because, apart from staples, it changes with every day out. This is my bag for a quick wander in the park. The Frost River Grand Marais bag.
DSC_0001_zpsd36a6fd6.jpg

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
I love my Sigg oval flask and mug. The mugs have a habit of leaking I found, but still love it.

Did use a French canvas and leather ammo bag but it's a bit small TBH. I often throw a small 20l Berghaus on my back.

Sigg in side. Folding saw usually, but SAK always. Flask for a warm drink and binocs. Honey stove if I know it's going to be ok to use it. Snacks. Waterproof. That's about it often.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Which bag depends on how long the bimble might be...

For longer walks an old Barbour canvas bag.

barbour_tarras.JPG

Day to day and for a short walk in the woods a Maxpedition waist pack.

P2090007.JPG

The contents vary, but if the plan is to head further into the woods, a set of Woodlore leathergoods are usually in there.

PA010019.JPG

And obviously, first aid, water, snack etc.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Larry Robinson

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I love my Sigg oval flask and mug. The mugs have a habit of leaking I found, but still love it.

Did use a French canvas and leather ammo bag but it's a bit small TBH. I often throw a small 20l Berghaus on my back.

Sigg in side. Folding saw usually, but SAK always. Flask for a warm drink and binocs. Honey stove if I know it's going to be ok to use it. Snacks. Waterproof. That's about it often.

I read somewhere that the most recent model of flask and mug were made slightly differently to the classic one and you are not supposed to use the cup to boil with as it can't cope with that much heat without springing a leak. For that reason I have stuck to using the less pretty more military looking one.

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
What no Woodlore leather luggage tag ??? :p

They do make some nice leather :) what do you keep in the leather belt pouch? I have my first aid kit in mine but think it would be a pain to open for my own use so may change.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I read somewhere that the most recent model of flask and mug were made slightly differently to the classic one and you are not supposed to use the cup to boil with as it can't cope with that much heat without springing a leak. For that reason I have stuck to using the less pretty more military looking one.

Yes, read that too.

The stainless steel bottles were made in Asian, whereas the aluminium bottles are Swiss.

Surplus Swiss Army M32 bottles (made by SIGG) are widely available and less than a tenner, just I dislike drinking from aluminium, it's a taste thing.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...What no Woodlore leather luggage tag ??? :p..."

I thought you were kidding, but on looking there is one! I think I could find a better use for £30 though. :)

"...They do make some nice leather :) what do you keep in the leather belt pouch? I have my first aid kit in mine but think it would be a pain to open for my own use so may change..."

bag_006_contents.jpg

Mine is a prototype of the current pouch and is much less wide so I can't get as much into it, I find it comfier to carry though.

A WW2 steel heliograph (more for getting insects out of my eyes and such rather than signalling), A diamond stone, whistle, fire steel, and an old credit card pouch that contains some band aids, gauze, asprins etc. Along with a pair of tweezers and a set of nail clippers.

There are also a couple of tick removers in there too.

Last edited:

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Now that's a speedy reply :)

If you want a shock, look up their webbing belt.

I thought your pouch looked deeper!!! It's the rounded base that looks so lovely, but limits options I found. I have a personal first aid in a soft pouch and a field dressing fitted in mine and love it. But I worry it's a fiddle to open if I'm bleeding.
Their belt is bomb proof and a real heavy leather. If ever I needed another I'd buy one again.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
ma5ade3a.jpg

6yrepa5e.jpg

Norwegian vintage canvas and leather pack, uprated straps from a very old guitar strap. Waterproofed with beeswax.

Contents.L to R

Space blanket,
Becker bk9
Swedish army cookset upgraded with
genuine trangia.
Webtex canteen water filter.
turboflame lighter.
Brewkit in one of Mr Fennas excellent leather bags.
Sorted:)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
At the risk of diverting thsi thread....

I want a bag to use as a bimble bag - worn over one shoulder rather than rucksack style. I reckon 12 inch by 12 inch and 4 inches deep [size not cast iron tho'] - any suggestions for type of bag and where to source?

Thanks

pwb

At the risk of diverting thsi thread....

I want a bag to use as a bimble bag - worn over one shoulder rather than rucksack style. I reckon 12 inch by 12 inch and 4 inches deep [size not cast iron tho'] - any suggestions for type of bag and where to source?

Thanks

Old Army surplus bags are a great source of some really nice bimble bags. I bought a Finnish respirator canvas bag after reading a thread over on BCUSA and it's really well made and handy. Surplus gear is also found at reasonable prices too.

Here's my Finn bimble bag:

dsc041722Small.jpg

Swaped out the Nalgene for one of those surplus Swiss bottles and mugs now.

dsc041732Small.jpg

Here's a link for a Finnish one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-A...Militaria_LE&hash=item2ed034b880#ht_120wt_958
Other than the Finnish one, surplus Yugo and Polish bread bags are perhaps worth a look ...I ended up buying all three :eek:.

Pete.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Got my Finnish Bag on Friday & took it out for a womble with Little Boots - I like it, but I need some padding on the shoulder like you have PWB - what have you used?

I also got a Polish bread bag from Ebay as it was cheap. It needs a shoulder strap sorting, and then I will need to decide which of the two is best - will probably end up using one for wombling and one for fishing.

pwb

Got my Finnish Bag on Friday & took it out for a womble with Little Boots - I like it, but I need some padding on the shoulder like you have PWB - what have you used?

I also got a Polish bread bag from Ebay as it was cheap. It needs a shoulder strap sorting, and then I will need to decide which of the two is best - will probably end up using one for wombling and one for fishing.

Nice glad you got bags you like mate.

The pad on the Finn bag is a Maxpedition one I got from Heinnie Haynes, makes carry a bit better if like me you stuff too much into the bag :)

Here's a link:http://www.heinnie.com/maxpedition-non-slip-15-shoulder-pad

Pete.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE