Shovels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Tom, The U dig it shovel in your link is a excellent unit. For bushcraft latrines are the first use I've found. In wet weather controlling runnoff can make a campsite much more habitable. Winter campers might want to consider a lightweight snow shovel. These usually have a telescoping handle and oftentimes a probe or ice saw inside. If you have avalanche victims or need to contruct a quick shelter they are invaluable. that pretty much leaves the plethora of military surplus type entrenching tools, short shovels with a blade and sometimes pick head on a swivel mount. I've found them usefull as car kit. Packing them seems overkill.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Young Bushman said:
What did you do when you were out camping and nature called? :yikes:
Well we always find a way of digging a hole. Or find one that is already there. :wink: But almost every time we've been away, we have been together with someone that had a shovel. :)

L

Little Mole

I agree. Mine is too bulky to carry. I may have to get one of those little guys for my rucksack.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
TheViking said:
Well we always find a way of digging a hole. Or find one that is already there. :wink: But almost every time we've been away, we have been together with someone that had a shovel. :)

Oh i see now, it was just where you said you'd never had the need to dig.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I meant if we needed it. Which we usually never do, but you know sometimes nature calls and then it might come in handy, but all the companions we've had the last few years, has always had a shovel or similar digging tool. There are quite a few holes in the woods Scott. :wink:

But I think we could argue about this into the next decade so let's resume on MSN as you say. :nana:

L

Little Mole

There are plenty of holes in the woods...mostly occupied. :yikes:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Little Mole said:
There are plenty of holes in the woods...mostly occupied. :yikes:
No, no, no.... :eek:): :p :wink: In the deep woods of Sweden there is plenty of empty holes. And when you're done with whatever was on your mind :wink: then just find something to put in it. Whatever there's at hand. :biggthump

L

Little Mole

I would probably prefer to use a big rock.

edited to remove unnecessary description of rock usage...I'm not going there.

Swampy Matt

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2004
Midlands
When I get to my camping area, one of the first things I do (after shelter, brew, fire) is make my self a digging stick.

Pointy on one end, 'chisled' at the other - this seems to cover most eventuallities.

This saves me adding any weight to my pack, and usually goes onto the fire before i leave the area, so i'm not carrying it out with me.

Matt

L

Little Mole

In many ways a stick is one of the most useful wilderness companions.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Wayne said:
There has been a few threads on here about the excellent book 'How to **** in the woods' it offers good advice on the best methods to enjoy then moment.
Take a look at this page. :wink:

L

Little Mole

Now that's a great idea...he still has to use a shovel though. It can't be denied they are an important piece of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE