Shoulder Knife Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
When I used to own centre-fire semi-auto pistols (in the days when you were allowed to), I used to carry them to the range in a shoulder holster. The reason for this was that I wanted to have it on my person at all times. The police consider it very bad form indeed to have a firearm nicked from a car whilst you're in a petrol station or cafe. A shoulder holster was the most comfortable way of carrying sitting in a car, and is more discrete than a belt holster.

Jim

Yep me too,and was stopped by the police on the way to the range. They had no problem and could see the logic as I was on a motorcycle.
I also regularly carried a section 1 shotgun a 10 shot remi auto,in a bag slung across my shoulders.
Those however were the days of common sense and discretion,not the world we live in now.

GS

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I was actually advised by the police to carry my pistol to and from the range in a shoulder holster as it was harder for a mugger to grab from my person than a range bag.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
This topic is so interesting as I was reading in another forum that US Customs are trying to ban any knives that are single hand opening from import. We have states that allow switchblade sales right now but most of us see this as the first step at regulation and banning on a federal level.

Was reading about this, almost worthy of our current government, a back door law which effects everybody. Very clever law making.

If anyone wondered, they are changing the customs law on certain knifes, which is the federal legal standard, so basically in one stroke any knife that is single hand opening would be illegal.

Carrying a fixed blade knife in an inverted shoulder holster has no connection to carrying a SAK in a belt pouch!

Exactly!

"....without lawful authority OR REASONABLE EXCUSE..."

that to me is a combat set up, elaborate in comparison to most worthies mode of carrying down the back of the trousers but I would expect to be arrested and I dont fancy your chances in court when it's shown to a Sheriff.

I'd be keeping it aside for a **** scenario!

Nicely made, not my cup of tea at all but I am in awe of the arguments that you'll get nicked for using it. Hands up those who have been stopped, deep in the woods, by a Police Officer! Was he wearing wellies in the muddy wood? How did he get his patrol car into the wood because none of them walk anywhere these days! i think there is an element of scaremongering going on here, if you are worried about carrying a knife then so be it, but I'll be laughing at you across the clearing when my fire is lit and burning away nicely with wood cut with my saw and split with my knife whilst you gnaw away at wood with your teeth for your fire!

You'd be suprised where Police Officers get to these days I think!

Take it another step, you've got to get to the woods in the first place and a Bushcrafter wearing a shoulder holstered knife is a field day for the red tops and another excuse to brand us all as nutters!

I like the set up, I like the workmanship but I personally think its a step to far.

I carry a knife in my car. It's in the boot next to my folding saw.

I carry a knife to and from my bushy sites. It's in my bag then on my belt when I'm away from the civilisation I'm wanting away from.

I can justify having the tool with me so I'm not scared in the slightest BUT I am concious of how others may perceive me and my hobby. That responsibility should be in all our minds, not just from a personal point of view but from a public perception of others towards our craft.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You'd be suprised where Police Officers get to these days I think!

Take it another step, you've got to get to the woods in the first place and a Bushcrafter wearing a shoulder holstered knife is a field day for the red tops and another excuse to brand us all as nutters!

I like the set up, I like the workmanship but I personally think its a step to far.

I carry a knife in my car. It's in the boot next to my folding saw.

I carry a knife to and from my bushy sites. It's in my bag then on my belt when I'm away from the civilisation I'm wanting away from.

I can justify having the tool with me so I'm not scared in the slightest BUT I am concious of how others may perceive me and my hobby. That responsibility should be in all our minds, not just from a personal point of view but from a public perception of others towards our craft.

So, the whole argument hinges on a fellow walking to the woods and being stopped by the police who want to search him because he looks like he is gonna worry the sheep and find a concealed carry sheath in his pack? Common sense dictates that you stick your knife in your bergen when approaching civilisation. So, it is in the pack and the officer nabs you, right?

Personally, I find the whole argument pointless. If it is being worn around town, you'll get nabbed for carrying a fixed blade without reason in a public place, the style of carry probably wouldn't make much of a difference anywhere else but in town I can see it would raise even more eyebrows than normal. Are you gonna get stopped and searched in the woods though? No. This thread showcased a members work. The nonsense since then has been completely pointless and has done nothing but proven the way people are being controlled by the media, the fear of wrong doing that is out of proportion and the idleness and time we have on our hands that we will sit and pick apart a simple idea that is not being used for any wrong doing and probably never will.

Are you gonna get stopped and searched in the woods though? No. .

You're wrong.

Report recently of a male acting suspiciously in woodland. Male was found, in the woodland, and stopped by Police. Subsequent enquiry recovered an illegal firearm and a locking knife in his pocket. Male arrested, charged and convicted. His excuse of "I've just got them 'cause I was shooting squirrels" didn't stand.

This thread showcased a members work.

And a fine piece of craftsmanship and innovation it is too.

The nonsense since then has been completely pointless and has done nothing but proven the way people are being controlled by the media, the fear of wrong doing that is out of proportion and the idleness and time we have on our hands that we will sit and pick apart a simple idea that is not being used for any wrong doing and probably never will.

It's been an interesting discussion and sharing of views and opinions as far as I can see. Trust me, I'm NOT influenced by anything other than my own experience.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I don't believe anyone is knocking the work and craftsmanship in the item, far from it, many have said it is a nicely made item. It's the design that is considered a bad idea, the same quality and work on a more traditional style would have got a better reaction I think. Topknot you have excellent skills, ingenuity, and talent in leatherwork mate of that there is no doubt, but this way of carrying a knife just smacks of tacticool rather than efficiency. Just my opinion sorry!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Well, i thought this thread had died a death, anyway, i've still got it, and use it, as spamel says, like everyone i carry in my pack, to and from sites, so no problem.

Rob

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You're wrong.

No I'm not. One guy out of how many thousands of users of British woodland has been stopped and searched. The fact that he was acting suspiciously instead of going about his business means there was a reason for somebody to call the Police. I bet he wasn't walking about looking at flowers and fruit considering he had a fire arm on his person! I've been in many woods over the years and never even seen a Policeman!

I really do think folk are over reacting on this a bit.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Iv'e just spent the day down the range doing a RCO Course and one of the course candidates and club member is a police firearms officer who has extensive knowladge and experience of knife crime and he tells me it does not matter where on your person or how the knife is carried so long as its a legal blade and you have REASONABLE EXCUSE to use and carry the blade you dont have a problem with the law.
you only have a problem if when questioned you become evasive and cannot provide a reason for having the blade in your possession, to his knowledge there are no concealed carry laws in this country for legally owned blades or for blades that are legally being used if a court case was brought without further evidence to back it up it would be thrown out.
however if it could be proved that the method of carry was to help in commiting a crime it could be used against you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE