Should kit be subdued or bright?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which is best?

• Stand out and be counted my friend!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Subdued rules! You can see me but...

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • camoflage, Blend me in baby!

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Subdued definately for me. Over the years in various Cadet, Venture Scout and T.A. organisations, I've kind of gotten used to not standing out. However, in the current political / security climate, I don't think out and out camouflage is always a good idea. It's a difficult question sometimes as camo gear can be bought so cheap these days. I don't like to stand out outdoors, I think it's hard on the eyes and in my experiance at least being subdued makes it easier to see wildlife.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Olive drab is just right i think for bushcraft outdoorsy type stuff,blends in just right with out making you look like a paramilitary nutter.I've said/mentioned before in a previous thread about the civilian hunting type of camo patterns,they are camo but do not mark you out as an special forces nut,What do you all think of those.Maybe those would be perfect.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I like greens for my clothing,
However some items I like in bright colours , peg bag , head torch bag , guy line bag ,
just makes it easier to find the little critters when your a bit tired ...lol
Twodogs

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, I agree, and things like reflective guy lines when camping with other folks are such a good idea. I've taken to putting one of the glow in the dark beads onto bag pull cords too. Lets me see them in the gloom of the tent / half light in the middle of the night need out to piddle occasions.

cheers,
Toddy

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Subdued. Not really sure why. I am sure a lot of us on here have Ray Mears Syndrome - family photo on holiday, wife/husband and kids dressed in normal holiday clothes, bright blues, reds, yellows etc, and standing with them someone in olive green and brown with the essential merino wool beanie....Admit it you've got a photo like that, I certainly have.

I just like subdued browns and greens and always have and they don't show the dirt in the forest. My family are used to it now but my teenage daughter finds it a bit embarrassing sometimes

NS

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Subdued. Not really sure why. I am sure a lot of us on here have Ray Mears Syndrome - family photo on holiday, wife/husband and kids dressed in normal holiday clothes, bright blues, reds, yellows etc, and standing with them someone in olive green and brown with the essential merino wool beanie....Admit it you've got a photo like that, I certainly have.

I just like subdued browns and greens and always have and they don't show the dirt in the forest. My family are used to it now but my teenage daughter finds it a bit embarrassing sometimes

NS

Ditto...especially the bit about the embarrassed daughter:rolleyes:

Simon

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Well put it this way, I am keen on photography, the other day whilst out and about I had to wait forever for a couple of bright red clad walkers to get out of my picture.

The only time I will wear anything bright is when I am cycling, and that is for survival. I like to be inconspicous otherwise.

L

LordRose

Well put it this way, I am keen on photography, the other day whilst out and about I had to wait forever for a couple of bright red clad walkers to get out of my picture.

The only time I will wear anything bright is when I am cycling, and that is for survival. I like to be inconspicous otherwise.

Oh im in the same situation. For getting wildlife shots I also like to blend in! As sad as it sounds I even use my airsoft/paintball assault chest rig to put essentials in whilst walking.

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Usually subdued, semi-military - except when winter mountaineering or climbing when being easily spotted can be a (life-saving) advantage!:)
Always earth colours in the forest, in the usual Ray Mears clone bushcraft style:lmao:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
In the 80's and early 90's DPM jackets had replaced Donkey jackets for site work. I used to go hunting in DPM.

It helped certainly. Although, I'm sure all the rabbits I shot were simply confused. "What's a bricklayer doing out here?". Bang!!..

Subdued clothes for me mainly, but I have to admit wearing a hi vis jacket when shooting has had it's advantages too.

You "look" like you're meant to be there, e.g., forestry, estate or council worker etc. And you don't suddenly appear, to daydreaming walkers etc.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I'm a subdued-color guy. I like to blend-in, both in the woods and in town, something neither bright colors nor camo can do. Overly bright colors just offend my sensibilities in the outdoors somehow. Having said that, I like little things like pocket knives to stand out from the leaves or I lose them. And I've scared myself a couple times when I've not been able to find my tent for a while.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Subdued all the way for me, like Oblio said bright colours stand out, but the camo ones dont tend to do their job very well in woodland that isn't that dense, so I prefer to have subdued colours, most of my kit is olive/dark green.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE