Should I expect a walking kit to go in a 35 litre rucksack????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
SHELTER
tent 1 man
inflatable mattress
sleeping bag, anguliak
pillowcase
teddy
crocs
bedsocks

COOKING
stove, pocket rocket
spare fuel
cookset, snowpeak
bowl
mug
kfs
knife, SAK
tin opener, army
foil

SUNDRIES
washing up liquid in small bottle
tea towel, half size
scourer, half size
matches or lighter
water bottle
torch or lantern
first aid kit
cord
map
compass
map case with pens, paper and pencils
binocs
camera
LED torch on neck cord
sun crean
insect repellent
washbag
baby wipes
sewing kit
toilet paper/tissues

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
To add :
Dry set of base-layers to sleep in (if all your clothing is wet)
Additional warm layer for evening
Midge head net
Something light but strong to dig a hole with…..

…assuming you are wearing your day clothes, waterproofs, warm layers, hat, gloves etc

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes.........

No extra clothes or food on list......

Im compiling a revised housewife bag....wash kit, washing up, sew kit and FAK in one.

any suggestions?

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
That's a very good idea you could try that all purpose liquid soap I just use antibacterial soap for my dishes
I have put some thoughts beside each item I am sure others will come along with good tips as well
I must say you have lightened your pack considerably since I saw you in North wood and your list would have put mine to shame a few years ago -well done
Have you got the lightweight bug or is it a matter of needs must?

SHELTER
tent 1 man-It may help to break this down rather than carry it in its bag as a single unit-Don't use steel pegs
inflatable mattress-consider a closed cell foam mat-I know some people would not concede on this for comforts sake
sleeping bag, anguliak- what weight ? and is it appropriate season rating
pillowcase-probably not a necessity-you could use a stuff sack or dry bag
teddy-what size lol
crocs-If space and lightweight is paramount you may think about ditching these or at least cut the straps off or consider flip flops
bedsocks-do these have to be a single use item ? i.e just use spare socks

COOKING
stove, pocket rocket-excellent
spare fuel-keep it to a minimum size canister
cookset, snowpeak-should be fine
bowl-just eat out of the pot
mug-lightweight Swedish folding ones are good
kfs-spork-go on get a titanium one
knife, SAK-just the SAK if its a decent one
tin opener, army-on the SAK
foil

SUNDRIES
tea towel, half size-J cloth
scourer, half size
matches or lighter-lighter
water bottle-try flexiflask and a wide mouthed Nalgene for a good combo
torch or lantern-headtorch
first aid kit-small
cord
map
compass
map case with pens, paper and pencils-consider weight of all this and minimize as much as poss
binocs-compact again if weights an issue try a monocular
camera-compact
LED torch on neck cord
sun crean
insect repellent-will you need this does it really work?
washbag-will be in your new combo bag
baby wipes-take what amount you need in a ziploc bag
sewing kit-needle and thread only
toilet paper/tissues -remove cardboard and store in a ziploc bag

Hope some of these are useful at the end of the day though you know what you can and can not do without weight and comfort wise
If you keep whittling away you will make that 35 litre bag
good on you

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
any suggestions?

I always like to have a few polythene bags handy, say one bin liner, two or three carrier bags of different sizes and some freezer bags. Handy for all sorts of things, some of which we wouldn't want to mention in polite company. At night I usually leave my boots outside in a big carrier bag, they tend to breathe moisture onto the inside of the bag as it cools so they will tend to get drier as long as you don't sleep too late in the morning. You can even use them as fire lighters. Not the boots, obviously. :) :campfire:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
SHELTER
tent 1 man, Ill get ti pegs...
inflatable mattress Nope! Im not compromising on that!
sleeping bag, anguliak No idea which one. its 900g in weight.
pillowcase, come on, its only a wee cloth bag
teddy, hes not too big
sandals
spare socks

COOKING
stove, pocket rocket
spare fuel 100g tin
cookset, snowpeak
bowl No, Im not leaving this out! do you think Im a dog?
mug , fits in snowpeak...pocket rocket fits in mug...
kfs No spork either. Ill see about affording a ti set
SAK
tin opener, army just in case. Im paraniod about the things
foil

SUNDRIES
tea towel, half size
scourer, half size
matches or lighter
sewing kit
toilet paper/tissues
toothbrush, traveling
small toothpaste
FAK
LED torch on neck cord
sun cream in small container

water bottle, I have a 1 litre platypus
torch, mini maglite
cord
map, compass in case with pens, paper and pencils
binocs
camera

ged

Jul 16, 2009
...water bottle, I have a 1 litre platypus...

It obviously depends on the individual and the conditions, but I'd find just one litre far too little capacity for comfort. I usually take two or three two-litre PET water containers (sparkling water bottles from the supermarket, 16p each including the water). Empty they weigh about 40 grammes each.

...torch, mini maglite...

If that's one with a filament (incandescent) lamp, the battery life is hopeless. LED ones are far superior. I've converted/swapped all my Maglites to/for LED versions. The big ones throw a fantastic beam. There are even more powerful torches about, but they all (including the big Maglites) tend to be expensive and they can be too bright for comfort on close work or even if you're using them to see around your feet while walking at night. Some torches have several brightness settings and I'd always prefer one which has at least one very low light level available to give a little light but with a very long battery life. Thesedays a life of a hundred hours is feasible, 50-80 is very realistic. I use rechargeables almost exclusively now, and always take a spare set with me. Best if all the torches and any other electrical gear use the same kind of batteries but it isn't always possible. Off the beaten track, AA are far more readily available than anything else but I tend to use AAA because they're lighter in head torches for example. I've been hanging my nose over a head torch which runs on a single AA battery and has all the other features I like but the cost is just plain daft so I guess it'll have to wait until Christmas. :)

In some places it's good to be able to hang a light in your tent if you leave it at night, so that you can more easily find it again. A night light candle has the advantage that it keeps indefinitely if not used and they're helpful in conserving matches/lighters when making a fire, but there's the fire risk if used in a tent, even if it's in some sort of a holder. Glow sticks are good, but more expensive and you can't put them out once started. A bit of retroreflective tape tied to a nearby tree might work.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im planning on getting a 2 litre

and how do you convert the torches? I love my two mini maglites.

I have a wee tin with a candle in it, but thats for my big tent. The beach shelter has just enough room for me to lay down in. I wont risk a candle.

Placed in my shiney stainless steel bowl its safe and gives a lot of light.

These new plans of mine have me buying lots of kit it seems.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
... how do you convert the torches?

I bought a little LED insert at B&Q, they were selling them off. It just replaced the bulb and reflector. I don't know if they're available for the really small ones but I think they are for the medium/larger ones.

These new plans of mine have me buying lots of kit it seems.

You're not the first to make that discovery!

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
No that I have tried it - yet! but I think I'd struggle to get my sleeping bag in my 35L pack, let alone a tent, and all the other bits and bobs for a night out!

Saying that though, I have been thinking about trying it with a tarp and bivvi, but keep thinking it will be the sleeping bag/mat that will cause me packing problems.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ugh, Sporks!

I dont get on with them....And it reminds me of that scene in `Noein` where the Heroine is given Bushcrafter food to eat.

But Ill look into the pegs

i usually carry a 35l pack for a climbing day or overnite. not manynissues packing but I must be careful so everything fits in.
i have a really small ultralite sleeping bag from deuter that is awesome, i also never take any tent since i know where can i sleep around here

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Save yourself a few bob, Tengu, and get some cheap alu pegs. Unless you're going down the all-out gram-weenie route (and your kit list suggests you're not) ti pegs are not worth the expense.

Last edited:
Do you really need all of those items for an over night trip? Some of them may not be necessary for a short trip; such as wet wipes and a full wash bag (maybe go for one or the other), will you wear through enough of your clothes to warant a sewing kit - or could you just live with the tear for a few hours?

Carefull packing and being ruthless with you gear will let you get more into a smaller pack.

When I first started doing over night walks I used to pack the kitchen sink into a 65l rucksack. Now it all fits in a 25l pack :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE