Shortest hawk haft?

S

Shotgun

I was wondering what you guys thought would be the shortest, yet still practical, length for a CS Trail Hawk haft. Use would be light woodwork and fire making. I just can't decide. Sometimes I think I want to just cut it to about 14 inches then I think I want to cut it down to the size of my GB mini. The reason is to just make it easier to pack and therefore more likely to tag along.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
try cutting it down a few inches at a time untill you reach a good size for needs.

mine came with a 22" handle and I'm still thinking about taking a few off.

S

Shotgun

try cutting it down a few inches at a time untill you reach a good size for needs.

mine came with a 22" handle and I'm still thinking about taking a few off.
I'll probably do something like that. Just trying to get a feel as to what others like who may have had more time behind the tool then I have.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I cut 3 inch of mine and left it at that. Find the length useful but the 3inch makes a big difference to pack-ability to me.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Best thing to do is to cut some straight pieces of ash of the correct diameter and you more or less have a new handle. Then cut them down to see which you prefer before making a permanent alteration to your hickory one. The good thing about a hawk is how easy it is to make another handle for one. You could have a selection of handle lengths at home made up in half an hour.

Edit...Just noticed your location, do you have hickory growing near you?

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
My riflemans hawk came with a 19 inch handle, and thats the shortest i would go, i would actualy like it to be 22 inch, as when i'm throwing it, i find i'm holding it at the very end.

Rob

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i like the GB SFA size handle and head, i have big daysacks so it fits in fine for me, i would not want to go any smaller as i use it well above its weight...:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE