Shining Cliff Woods - An offer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Thank you Rhyan :) Sorry, I was watching Blackadder goes Forth... blimming amazing final scene to that series... sums up the day.

Mick, no worries on water, I carry 3 gallons in the car with me... that should do us for 2 days, but there is a river nearby. Might have to boil the water to an inch of its life, but somehow I think we may get a little rainwater on our trip as well lol

The greatest end to a comedy series ever made.

Ah I don't mind drinking from ponds and rivers so long as I have steritabs or boil it. Good shout on taking some though if it's carryable. I'm used to about a 3 mile walk to campsites

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I usually carry about 4l in with me... leave the rest in the car and travel back to it as I need it. If there is water available onsite, no need for the walk... if not, its a bit of exercise :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Aye good point Dewi. I usually just take steri and squash to kill the chlorine taste

rhyan

May 19, 2009
UK
There isn't anyway to draw water, although I have boiled the water from stream before. Think there is a lot of iron ore though.

You can park pretty close , so a few of those 5lt £1 hobbies from Asda maybe a good idea.

The derwent is pretty fast flowing but does run through some pretty heavy riverside industry - so I'm not sure about about.

Other option is beer - that doesn't need boiling or squash to soften the taste......

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Beer seems a good option, but I prefer the more spirited approach :D

We should be good for water... if we run out, I'm going to blame Mick :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Beer seems a good option, but I prefer the more spirited approach :D

We should be good for water... if we run out, I'm going to blame Mick :D

I'll take the blame quite happily! So long as nobody does a BG and starts making those own drink!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
You know thats where its heading then? :lmao:

Always! If at any point I start to exhibit unusual behaviour that may be detrimental, such as me going to pick hot objects out of fires to see if it's hot, biting on a conker to see what's inside etc, just Chuck something at me. Steph and my mates always say that's when the turtle stuck in my head is at the controls for a moment. It happens haha

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
After a day with the meat grinder and various cuts of meat. We have sausages and burgers for the trip!

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
6e7c911ab9a7cc4fb477b23ecb406b24.jpg

Sweet chilli pork and rabbit, pork and leek, and beef and venison. Along with 12 beef and woodpigeon burgers. Sound good to y'all? ;)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Sounds an absolute treat, can't wait Mick! ��

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
As it would have been down right irresponsible for me to supply you with meat I haven't tested, I've tried one of each and can confirm they have the mick91 seal of approval!
Admittedly they where the ones I fudged up until I got my pressure and twisting right, been a while since I made bangers!

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Look delicious Mick... what we having with them? Want me to bring some bread or??

Mind has gone blank... what do you eat with sausages? We usually stick them in the oven with batter to make Toad in the Hole.... but thats not going to be possible over a camp fire is it?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Look delicious Mick... what we having with them? Want me to bring some bread or??

Mind has gone blank... what do you eat with sausages? We usually stick them in the oven with batter to make Toad in the Hole.... but thats not going to be possible over a camp fire is it?

Some bread or bannock mix sounds good, buns for the burgers may be a plan.

I'd wager it would be possible to make toad in the hole in a campfire, I managed a birthday cake once. There should be 3 or 4 sausages each and might make more burgers to make it a nice even 2 each. Maybe some corn on the cob for a bit of a winter BBQ style meal?

Little addition, I know he lurks here so to little Billy massive thanks for the loan of the rifle and days shooting that supplied the venison, and to Malcolm at east lodge farm for the supply of home reared beef and pork for them, as well as my shooting rights for the rabbits and pigeons!

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'll get a dutch oven this week, see if we can make the batter in that. Si made some bread in a dutch oven at Britton wood thinking about it... so its doable :D

I shove some bread rolls in the car as well just incase I mess up the batter :p

Are you still bringing a grill thingy John?

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I'll get a dutch oven this week, see if we can make the batter in that. Si made some bread in a dutch oven at Britton wood thinking about it... so its doable :D

I shove some bread rolls in the car as well just incase I mess up the batter :p

Are you still bringing a grill thingy John?

Maybe take a baking tray and use the Dutch oven like... Well an oven lol. Better still nestle them in round the engine bay by the time we get down they'll be cooked to perfection! They're a fair size like so should be able to have toad in the hole and some to munch on

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You haven't seen the engine bay of the Mazda Mick... its my bob-a-job car, so it doesn't really get a lot of attention. :rolleyes:

We'll work it out... picking up some logs for the fire on Tuesday all being well and investigating another tarp. I like tarps :D

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
You haven't seen the engine bay of the Mazda Mick... its my bob-a-job car, so it doesn't really get a lot of attention. :rolleyes:

We'll work it out... picking up some logs for the fire on Tuesday all being well and investigating another tarp. I like tarps :D

Easy wrapped in foil man lol.

Aye might be an idea the kindling logs. Sure we'll work it all out

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I know exactly where the wood is, trying to get a postcode at the minute, but neither the woodland owner or Rhyan have responded to emails about which bit is our camping spot.

Bear with me... I'll get a postcode for the sat nav first... and if I can't get hold of either of them by email, I'll try and ring Rhyan tomorrow for the site map. Failing that, we'll have to pick our spot when we get there and hope its the right one!

I doubt there will be many up there this weekend with the temperature drop they're predicting... but everyone's going to have to wrap up warm... looks like it might snow as well :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE