Shell jacket: heat insulating or not?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What kind of shell jacket do you wear?

• warm, heat insulating jacket

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • thin (wind/water resistant) jacket

Votes: 65 73.9%
  • depending on season (so warm one in winter)

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • other or no jacket

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My thoughts exactly, but when I go to an outdoor shop this time of the year (or look at fe Fjällräven's catalogue of this season) most jackets are quite insulated despite everyone always talking about the layer principle... Really annoys me because I'm not interested in one of those for active outdoor activities, and I wouldn't recommend them for most situations either...

The old Greenland jacket works quite ok as a shell. There is also the Fält jacket, and a few cousins. All will more or less do what you want.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have different shell jackets, but generally I still prefer my zoot soot for a shell, I have two out of parachute material (one green one black), one out of pertex I have a few civi shell tops but as the are red or blue I wear them when walking and not bushcrafting (for safety reasons). I have fleece shells for warmth and good old ventile too.

Outerlayers are different again and so are waterproofs (they are all gortex in some form or another)

I use the layering system a lot because simply it works!!!!

So as you can see I have a few :)

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I have always found any kind of insulating/filled/lined jacket to be too warm when I am active and not warm enough when I am standing/sitting still.

In cold weather, I used to have an oversized duvet waistcoat that I put on over the top of my windproof/rain proof jacket when I stopped.

If I knew that I was going to be standing around all day (e.g. winter bird counts on an estuary) I would wear a thick fleece under a windproof/waterproof. Or sometimes a duvet jkt..

Having said all that I can see occasions (winter window shopping, or scraping the ice off the car in the morning when an all in one insulated jacket would be useful to sling on)

Graham

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I ended up buying a Fjällräven Kaise anorak (one layer of G1000) which I found great most of the time, also when mountain climbing last week in Norway at minus 10 in deep snow. :) In combination with some layers of Woolpower it was toasty at times.
kaise_anorak.jpg

I also learned the G1000 trousers work very well when walking in snow (tucked into my combats to keep snow out).

Also bought a second hand värmejacka (Swedish) which was nice when being less active but got sweaty rather quickly when moving around too much, wouldn't wear this one when mountain climbing in the snow.
varmejacka.jpg

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Atm my shell jacket is a russian mountain suit jacket known as a Gorka. its made of duck cotton and is reasonably waterproof (could do with another proofing tbh) but its fantastically wind resistant!
the hood is adjustable and even has a peak built in and it has a storm flap inside it along with drawstrings at the waist and hood. if out in windy conditions i.e. up a mountain this thing is perfect, even shrugs off light showers.
snow was no problem either recently and with a fleece and whatnot underneath i was snug and warm.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I have different shell jackets, but generally I still prefer my zoot soot for a shell, I have two out of parachute material (one green one black), one out of pertex I have a few civi shell tops but as the are red or blue I wear them when walking and not bushcrafting (for safety reasons). I have fleece shells for warmth and good old ventile too.

Outerlayers are different again and so are waterproofs (they are all gortex in some form or another)

I use the layering system a lot because simply it works!!!!

So as you can see I have a few :)

Thumbs up for the layering system. Our grandparents were right when they made us wear string vests...

Good God!! - Zoot suit, not heard of them for years.

Is that like the 80's issue zoot suit (shell suit/tracksuit) used for monging around the barracks/dorm in your spare time? :D

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
I agree. I think Berghaus started this years ago with their IA range and everyone else seemed to jump on the bandwagon. Of course, it does tie you in to buying their fleeces, so from a marketing point of view you can see their point.

I reckon these are part aimed at the casual market, a stroll in the hills/woods/coast and a nice beer in the pub when you get back, so it's like having a waterproof insulating jacket when it comes to putting it on, taking it off.

Mind you, I've got an ancient Regatta jacket with zip in fleece and I have found it good on occasions to be able to take that lot off, and then remove a layer underneath, just means you're standing round a bit less time without your waterproof on. It's also got a YKK zip in, that way you can use any other product with the same make zip. I deliberately wanderd round the shop zipping in whole range of clothing just to make sure.

So they have their place, and no-one says you have to zip your insulating layers in.

L

LordRose

I have yet to find a jacket which suits a purpose. I hate having to carry around a bulky coat when its warm, but then Im often freezing my **** off when Im reduced to wearing two jumpers and a waterproof. I often just wear my long-johns and thermal top underneath everything and just hope I dont get too hot whilst walking.

The main problem is money, I just dont want to justify spending silly money although it is worth it. There is a softshell I really like the look of though, but can't exactly afford it right now.http://landwarriorairsoft.com/acatalog/Softshell_Jackets.html (bottom of page.)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have an Aigle shell that is made in France. (The company was founded by an American in the 1800s.) It has some Goretex like material that lines it. I don't remember what it was called but it is really water proof and I don't get sweaty. Also, it is no where near as stiff and noisy as Goretex. If it is wet out, its just the ticket. If it is wet and cold, I just put on a synthetic fleece underneath. moderately cold, I will use a Columbia fleece. Colder yet, I will replace the Columbia with an Aigle fleece which is about 2x as thick as the Columbia.

If it is a bitter cold day here in the midwest, and WAY below freezing I will put on a hooded down parka that I have had for about 20 years. I have never needed a fleece under it, although I will put a sweater on if need be. Polyproplene underwear, top and bottom if I know I'm going to be out for an extended time. Leather army gloves with the wool liners. Boots with silk socks topped with very thick 100% wool socks and a goretex oversock.

We have 80 - 95% humidity here also, but its a summer thing not a winter thing. When its 110 degrees F. and 95% humidity, then is when you will learn the true meaning of uncomfortable.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Actually, most of the time i pull on a warm layer, it goes outside of the jacket that is my usual shell. I generally move around in a light wicking layer and a thin jacket or shirt. When i stop, an insulated softie goes on over the top unless its really raining hard, in which case the goretex forms the outer layer. It just means that i haven't got to strip down to a baselayer when i put the warm jacket on or take it off, and makes things a bit quicker.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
When winter walking/mountaineering, so moving not sitting at a belay or slowly climbing, I use a softshell. Regatta £19. It has a thin fleece lining. I wear a locng sleeve thin thermal with a t shirt thermal underneath. So rain, wind, blizzard - it's excellent. Much, much drier than a traditional fleece and shell. Much more breathable. If I stop at a summit, like today for a brew up, then I can whip on a synthetic down jacket. I use decathlon witner weight softshell trs with snow gaiters and braces, very comfy too, leg vents etc.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Actually, most of the time i pull on a warm layer, it goes outside of the jacket that is my usual shell. I generally move around in a light wicking layer and a thin jacket or shirt. When i stop, an insulated softie goes on over the top unless its really raining hard, in which case the goretex forms the outer layer. It just means that i haven't got to strip down to a baselayer when i put the warm jacket on or take it off, and makes things a bit quicker.

I've just adopted this very same tactic. So far this winter I've only worn a 200 gsm Icebreaker and a Montane Featherlite. When I stop, if it's really cold, I put a fleece on over my Featherlite and remove it before moving off again. Heavy rain has not yet been a problem.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Miyagi
Good God!! - Zoot suit, not heard of them for years.

Is that like the 80's issue zoot suit (shell suit/tracksuit) used for monging around the barracks/dorm in your spare time?

The zoot suit I have is of a basic design used by paras and sf guys used since the invention of the parachute clothing, not quiet a 80's throw back but even simpler. Top and jacket have elastic at waist and bottom of trousers and the top has elastic on waist and cuffs, and paracord pull for hood and neck. I know alot of guys used to use the para illume mortar chutes and get them made up at Batus as well, and I had one made cost me $5Cdn, I did supply the chutes though for that one as well.I do have a karrimor one which has zip front and zip on all pocket areas which I got from S.o. F. (soldier of fortune) they often have it in their sales section and i think both parts cost me a total of £20 so not complaining at that price.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Ahh, thanks Tinky Pete.

Our zoot suits were nylon (made your arrse sweat when seated TBH) and probably inspired by the ones you mention.

They were rubbish though and probably issued to ensure uniformity on down time when in camp.

Wish I still had my chairman mao/chinese fighting suit - not that it would fit me now!

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE