shed heater

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

galavanter

Aug 1, 2011
southwestscotland
Years ago my father in law had a home made heater in his shed which consisted of a possibly 20to30 gallon drum opened at one end with a tube down the centre of it he then stuffed sawdust between the outer edge of the tube and the inside of the drum when it was stuffed firmly the tube was removed and a fire was lit at the bottom it seemed to burn slowly and safely what I dont know is how do construct it properly should there be a hatch in it at the bottom or air holes does anyone know it seemed more of a constant smoulder than an all out fire cheers

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
hey galavanter

if you head over to youtube and search for sawdust stove you'll find what you need

there seems to be two typical constructs, 1 vertical hole all the way through, raise the drum to allow air, light and you're away, the second (which I use) is a vertical meeting a horizontal drilled it the bottom edge of a can, I have been using a 5 litre can inside my woodburner, very efficient and typically lasts 5 hours

you will need smooth poles when forming, I've used waste water pipe cut to size, fine sawdust is better too

I started off with a large food tin as a trial and incredibly it burned well for 2 hours, once lit it needs no fettling

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE