Sheath WIP for RAT 5 (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

graybear1

Aug 29, 2010
Australia
Just to say at the start of this post, I would never profess to be anything like an expert on leatherwork or sheath making...or anything for that matter! Just been experimenting and working on this and thought you guys might be interested! I've yet to finish it and am looking forward to seeing the final product...

My friend recently purchased a RAT 5... in my view money not so well spent...but for fear of upsetting the loyal few, opinion will be held about the knife. (Im not fan). I should tell you that he begged me to make him a new sheath, but in truth I asked if I could make him one! HA. See below for a few pictures of the process and some of the lessons learnt along the way. Like I said, this is a work in process and its not the only way, just the way that happened to happen the afternoon I was working on it!!

Here's the Knife:
Its a actually an Ontario RAT 5 serrated version.

IMG_1071.jpg

First, I drew up a rough plan of what I wanted to do...I kinda liked the idea of a sheath that covered some of the handle...the guard on the knife or lack of it should make this a bit easier than if it was a huge double sided guard...

IMG_1062.jpg

Next I transfered the paper template onto the leather I would be using. I sourced this 2.5mm veg tanned leather from a place in Sydney, quite reasonable too... note the integrated belt loop. I've learned the hard way about sewing on strong belt loops...

IMG_1084.jpg

I cut it out and then transferred it into a warm container of water. I'm going to wet-form around the guard area and the handle...

IMG_1087.jpg

Next I wrapped the knife in Cling Wrap, and started shaping the leather. Note the very technical tool! The wood spoon was kindly donated to the cause by my wife. Its actually got all the right shapes and smooth surfaces for the shaping. Who needs fancy tools? Pah...

IMG_1095.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

Im still learning. Especially the planning ahead bits. So after some leather surgery I made the guard section free to move freely in and out of the sheath... laughable to some, but it was a good fix.

IMG_1104.jpg

I decided to make the welt out of leather and not something even more robust like wood, its thick enough and is easier to work with...

IMG_1109.jpg

I drilled holes for the stitching...badly, I wont show you a close up of that! I might try to hide them... I need a pillar drill or ten years more experience!

After much digging on the forum, I finally found it's best secret: Vinegaroon. I love this pirate-y sounding stuff. I had promised a black sheath, so it was into the pot for a good soak for a couple of minutes.

IMG_1111.jpg

Look closely and you'll see I stitched it up just to see if it worked as a piece. I hope to use black thread in the final one....

Anyways, thats it for now, I'm hoping to add a loop for a fire-steel... we'll see how it works out.

Be back soon with more to add. Comments and questions are welcome!

GB

I have a humble new website: www.graybear.yolasite.com

graybear1

Aug 29, 2010
Australia
Um, didn't glue it. Now that you mention it, that sounds like a good idea! Ha. The stitching holds it good and tight it seems. And yeah, i just figured if i wetformed it first then I could be sure the stitching would be in the right spot... like you say, it hasnt seemed to matter!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE