sheath advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I've been thinking about making a sheath for my mora classic. I was thinking about trying to make it something like the one in rapidboys tutorial but with a firesteel pouch integral in the welt at the mouth of the sheath. I was trying to think of a way of doing it other than the usual one you see. anyone tried this before and got any tips on things to do or things to avoid. Any input is more than welcome.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
What something like this?

jb4.jpg

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
If you imagine the leather of the sheath extending back across a double layer welt with the welt having a U shaped pocket cut into it so that the steel is completely enclosed in the sheath and welt with a line of stitching running up either side of the fire steel pocket. nice sheath though. the lighening towards the bottom? Is that the colouring on the sheath or is it the way the light is hitting it?? I like that change of colour.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Robby said:
If you imagine the leather of the sheath extending back across a double layer welt with the welt having a U shaped pocket cut into it so that the steel is completely enclosed in the sheath and welt with a line of stitching running up either side of the fire steel pocket. nice sheath though. the lighening towards the bottom? Is that the colouring on the sheath or is it the way the light is hitting it?? I like that change of colour.

I might be think or just not getting it a drawing might help use get the gist.

The colouring of the sheath is deliberate it was a customer sheath I made for a member over on BB and based on the sheath I made for the Summer KITH over on BB a few years ago.

KITH1.jpg

KITH2.jpg

KITH3.jpg

It was done by first giving the whole sheath a coat of very dilute brown leather dye and letting it completely dry before using a course spong stipple with brown then black dye allowing it to completely dry between colours. Finally hot dipping.

I worked far better on the original butterfly style sheath as the extra rubber cement on the one above affected the hot dipping leaving the lighter patch.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Big John said:
Looks great, what did you 'hot dip' in?

50/50 Beeswax and neatsfoot oil. The big thing is to get the temp. right. To hot and the leather will fry to cool and it will not harded (unless you then 'dry' it in the oven at 70-90C to Curi-bouilli it) .

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Did you mean something like this

P1010012.jpg

I didnt stitch inside the steel pocket just an inside U of leather stitched into the welt.

The alternative is something like this but without the second pocket for the awl - harder work though

P1010005.jpg

Cheers
Nick

H

Heathenpeddler

I like the look of that first sheath Nick, might have to try that myself :)

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Robby,

left a rough sketch for you at Toddy's last night, forgot to draw that the welt extends through to form the steel holder - you'll get the idea from the drawing. Thanks for your input with the plaid - I had a laugh at all the differences of opinion, but I now have a better idea of how to put it all together.

Cheers

JFW

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
nickg's got the gist of my description. I had tried to put up a drawing but couldn't get it to work. my 17 year old wasn't in to ask how to do it either. :eek: basically I was talking about the outline of the first sheath of nickg's with the separating stitching between the sheath and the steel holder. thanks for all of your input it's all welcome..
clcuckow.. Your work is fantastic. I love the colouration you get. :You_Rock_

JFW. you're welcome, anytime. Any other questions feel free to give me a shout. I'll see if I can help and be sober too..... :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE