Shave Horses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
it was built to do a job by a man who needs to be spending his time making beautiful things not wasting his time making his tools pretty ;)

I've got about 8 shave horses currently and I don't think any two are the same. Mostly I use cleft wood (or sawn trunks) since I am in the woods and it is easier than going out to buy sawn timber, but I do have one made from salvaged wood. It's by far the ugliest horse that I've come across and doesn't work as well as some of the others, but it is still going strong (save a replacement leg or two) after about 8 years of use.

I've been meaning to build a nodding head style horse for ages, but not got around to it yet. I think I may take some inspiration from Paleotool's lovely builds :) Mine won't be so pretty though I suspect :rolleyes:

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
My current one is the lumber horse, I only went for that as I had the wood here at home and it saved going out for some more to do a proper one, yes it is ugly but it works

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
it was built to do a job by a man who needs to be spending his time making beautiful things not wasting his time making his tools pretty ;)

I've got about 8 shave horses currently and I don't think any two are the same. Mostly I use cleft wood (or sawn trunks) since I am in the woods and it is easier than going out to buy sawn timber, but I do have one made from salvaged wood. It's by far the ugliest horse that I've come across and doesn't work as well as some of the others, but it is still going strong (save a replacement leg or two) after about 8 years of use.

I've been meaning to build a nodding head style horse for ages, but not got around to it yet. I think I may take some inspiration from Paleotool's lovely builds :) Mine won't be so pretty though I suspect :rolleyes:

Dave I wasn't bring critical ... I think it's great he gave instructions on how to make one from DIY shop timber as not everyone would have access to woodland to make something more special.
It's still fugly ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE