Shave Horses

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
A few horses I've made over the years. I can't find any photos of the oldest one. It was very small to fit in a vehicle but I liked it a lot.

0106.jpg

Sold a few years ago to a fellow bowyer.

0699.jpg

Made for a woodworker. It lives near Portland, Oregon now.

horse2.jpg

Made from a storm downed tree.

dsc_0625.jpg

My current work station.

dsc_0626.jpg

Every one gets a little more "perfect" for what I need.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Stunning work there. I really need to make one of these so i can make shavings in the sun rather than my shop.
Soon as I come across suitable timber..

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Inspirational... gonna have a go myself but think it may be a mixture of pallet wood and hazel... cause that's all I got!!

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Just had some extended leave so have had time to make a shave horse
Along with the tools I've inherited off my dad draw knives and the like
I have started making a few kitchen utensils and am loving it
Thanks for the photos

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Hi all

If you go onto Mike Abbott's 'Living Wood' website you can download a plan for a very simple shave horse made out of bought timber. I needed one last minute for an unexpected visit by a school and I literally put it together in a day - and I'm no carpenter! It isn't as rustic as a traditional one but it does the job and it will also take down into 3 easily-moved / transported / stored pieces.

Cheers

Bob:)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
They are all really very nice. Particularly like the one third up from the bottom. It's making me very tempted to give making one a go as they look like the kind of thing that'd come in very handy! Thanks for sharing :)

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
If you go onto Mike Abbott's 'Living Wood' website you can download a plan for a very simple shave horse made out of bought timber. I needed one last minute for an unexpected visit by a school and I literally put it together in a day - and I'm no carpenter! It isn't as rustic as a traditional one but it does the job and it will also take down into 3 easily-moved / transported / stored pieces.

I went looking for this, but couldn't see it on his site. Can you give me a clue where I should be clicking?

Peter

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE