Sharping help wanted in Leeds area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'm not ashamed to hold my hand up and say I cannot sharpen my knives.

I have had a go at creating the Five pound sharpening kit and have followed the step in it and also find an old sharpening stone I had and I have tried to sharpen the couple of knives I have to but to no avail, I think I'm making them blunter.

Is there anyone in the Leeds area who might be able to spare an evening or afternoon at the weekend and try and help me learn how to sharpen knives.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I must admit I'm the same. I have knives of many types that need sharpening from sabatier style kitchen knives to SAKs that need sharpening. I don't have any expensive drawer queens in fact the most expensive knife I own is a SAK cyber tool. I find SAKs a pain to sharpen and all I've ever tried is to use those carving knife steels to put an edge on a few kitchen knives. I do think I have nearly ruined them. Still with Moras at about £10 or even less and some other knives from Whitby about the same that I've found meant I have coped without sharpening any knives.

BorisTheBlade

Dec 3, 2010
London
Have you guys looked this up on youtube? Ray Mears did a good video to help with this. The most crucial thing is consistency (which I find really hard). If you can develop a good technique and keep doing the same motions then the rest should come, thats what I am finding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We1-CDNaSFs

Heres a link to a useful blade angle measurer http://workshopheaven.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.cgi?usr=51F78928&rnd=4680524&rrc=N&affl=&cip=&act=&aff=&pg=prod&ref=Richard_Kell_Bevel_Gauge&cat=&catstr=HOME

hey guys, I am to far away to help in person, but at least I can give some advise
the best thing you can do is to learn to sharpen free hand, but if consistency is an issue, maybe you can buy one of those lansky systems, those work best with knives with a secondary bevel.
if what you need to sharpen is a scandi knife, you better get some cheap mora knife to learn with, and be carefull of having a really flat stone
if the knife is convex then sandpaper and a mousepad is the way to go :)

Cheers
Esteban

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ordered a fallkniven dc4 from http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/ via there Amazon store front on the 18th Jan and it arrived on the 19th, £14.99 with free postage so very impressed with that.

Only bad thing was i used it for 5 mins and then came back to it and it feel apart!

Quick google found quite a few people saying they had the same thing happen and they just glued it back themselves, so thats what I have done.

Spent a some time last night having a go with it and i think I have got :D My mora is a lot sharper but think it could still do with a bit more work. Now I just need to learn how to use a strop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE