Sharpening with a chefs steel

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Like John I'm using diamond sharpening "stones" as a carpenter of 30 years using a stone to put an edge on a plane iron or chisel that can take a wafer thin shaving off hard wood. some tool suppliers sell diamond wet stones that open like a butterfly knife with medium grit one face and fine grit on the other

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Glad you posted this. I've been using an old worn out, and therefor almost smooth, steel on my scandies. Seems to get em shaving sharp, or damn close. I don't think I'm getting quite the same edge as I do with a fine diamond plate though and I've heard that harder steels can chip out.

I fancy trying a ceramic rod, I've heard that ceramic works like a fine abrasive stone.

Has anyone tried one of these "viking" whetstones for field sharpening BTW? They look cool, it'd be great if they worked too.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Glad you posted this. I've been using an old worn out, and therefor almost smooth, steel on my scandies. Seems to get em shaving sharp, or damn close. I don't think I'm getting quite the same edge as I do with a fine diamond plate though and I've heard that harder steels can chip out.

I fancy trying a ceramic rod, I've heard that ceramic works like a fine abrasive stone.

Has anyone tried one of these "viking" whetstones for field sharpening BTW? They look cool, it'd be great if they worked too.[/quote]

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE