Sharpening HSS woodworking tools, advice required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've recently taken up woodturning and have now done enough to blunt my tools. I managed to sharpen one roughing gouge but at the price of 4 knackered DMT folding stones. Is it best to sharpen on my bench grinder or is a gentler method preferable. Yes I know the Tormek sharpener is beloved in the world of woodwork but I don't want to lash out than kind of money.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Lots of turners use a bench grinder for sharpening their tools. You don't need an expensive Tormek (though I still covert one :lmao:) if you're only sharpening HSS tools because you won't burn those. You'd have to be careful though if you were looking to sharpen carbon steel turning tools, that's where slower, water cooled wheels come into their own.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hand work or power, I think it depends on how blunt you find the edges. Hold the edge up to a really bright light.
If it's sharp, you see nothing. If it's blunt, there's a surface to reflect light.

Be careful to sustain the bevel angles. Those turning tools take a huge load, unlike my carving gouges.
Paint the bevel with black felt marker so that you can watch clearly what is happening.

I've thrashed a few chisels in ceramic tile grout.
I should have bought a bench grinder.
Absolute grunt to do them by hand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE