Knife Sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jimmeh

May 20, 2010
London
Hi folks.

I've purchased a Dianova classic diamond sharpener to sharpen some of my knives (and because it's small, put it in my kit bag!).

I've got a small selection, but specifically i'm trying to sharpen my swiss army knife (cybertool model i think), my whitby folding knife (i use for food prep primarily), and a condor bushlore.

Now the Condor bushlore is still pretty sharp, cuts through paracord very easily and can slice paper happily - but not as well as i see in videos of people testing their knives. God knows why you want to shave with a bushcraft knife but it won't shave arm hairs either! Should i be sharpening a knife if it's not yet blunt?

Meanwhile, the whitby knife wouldnt even dent paracord.. i hadnt realise how blunt it had become! it merely rubbed it and made a pressure mark :D Now this blade is stainless steel i believe, and having spent some time sharpening it as per the sticky instructions in this forum - ive managed to get it to teh point where i can feel an edge and i can cut down through some paracord .. but i cant get it anywhere near my Bushlore sharpness - is this the stainless steel or should i be sharpening this one differently? Granted the dianova is a small sharpener and i dont expect to get the same edge as some proper stones would provide, but any tips for using a smaller shaperner would be appreciated! I've managed to work out the best method is to brace the knife and move the sharpener over the knife rather than the other way round.

The penknife is probably in a similar situation to the little whitby knife, i suspect also stainless blade?

Any advice or hints appreciated!

Regards,

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Mate stainless steel will be harder to sharpen than your Condor which is carbon steel. Sharpen the stainless the same way but it'll take a bit longer and require more patience. Your Condor sounds like it still has a good working edge, which will be good enough for most tasks. Probably the best way to sharpen an already sharp knife is by stropping using leather and a cutting compound.

I don't have any experience of these small pocket sharpeners so can't recommend one sorry. I keep my small pocket knives sharp by using a steel and or stropping. I only put them back on a stone as and when required which isn't often.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE