Sharpening a knife with fungi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I wanted to try making a sharpening strop from Birch Polypore today, so my lad & I harvested this beast as the raw material for the project.

Woods2-1-0939.jpg

and set to work carving the wooden base plate and cutting the fungus to shape

Woods2-1-0968.jpg

Woods2-1-0942.jpg

Woods2-1-0943.jpg

Woods2-1-0944.jpg

Woods2-1-0945.jpg

then glued the two parts together, ok i cheated and took contact adhesive.

Woods2-1-0931.jpg

trimming the top of the fungus

Woods2-1-0950.jpg

and the finished result, brings the edge back wonderfully and has the added bonus of removing all the gunk that accumilates on the blade, tannins, sap etc.

Woods2-1-0953.jpg

Woods2-1-0957.jpg

Needless to say, my lad has taken full ownership of the strop already:D , doubt if i will ever get to use it:rolleyes:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Nice work Kepis,
Has the Polypore shrunk back at all? I fancy making one when I get home. It looks like a giant bar Double decker, probably dosn't taste like one mind:D Ta Ed

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
Christ mate is that shroom big enough:lmao: let me know how it looks after a few weeks of use. Did you harvest this from your normal haunt?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice work Kepis,
Has the Polypore shrunk back at all? I fancy making one when I get home. It looks like a giant bar Double decker, probably dosn't taste like one mind:D Ta Ed

Not as yet, we harvested the materials and made the strop today as a project, i have more of the fungus here drying out so i can make another one at some point.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Christ mate is that shroom big enough:lmao: let me know how it looks after a few weeks of use. Did you harvest this from your normal haunt?

there were a few bigger ones up there:eek: , weve left a few to see how big they get, and yep, normal haunt, in fact the exact same spot as last weeks trek out

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nope, well i wouldnt want to try, think the tyres on my motor would taste better and are not as rubbery, seriosuly, although it's not poisonous, it's not recommended.

firestarter31

Jan 19, 2008
bromyard
Very intresting , i have known about using it as a strop for a couple of years , but have never seen this method. Will try it out this weekend. Have you ever tried it out as a plaster?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Very intresting , i have known about using it as a strop for a couple of years , but have never seen this method. Will try it out this weekend. Have you ever tried it out as a plaster?

Funny you should mention the plaster, used it for exactly that yesterday when i got a small burn on my thumb, serves me right for playing with the fire i suppose
;)

Woods2-1-0926.jpg

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That looks so simple, Wonderful!!! The whole one I have in my collection shunk to by about a third to half when dried.

chew a lump for sore throats, or add to boiling water and enhale vapour for colds and coughs, contains anti-septic and can taste like TCP.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I harvested a box full last year but discovered them all turned to a fine powder the other day. Some kind of beetle infestation, they don't seem to like wood or cardboard but the polypore is top grub :(

Never mind, I've a wood full of birch trees ;)

oh, btw, when your strop is dry I suggest rubbing it ona sheet of sandpaper to smooth out the surface. It makes a difference to your stropping ;)

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I'm making one! Seriously though, the woods up the hill from me are mainly Hornbeam (which I've carved a few spoons from; a remarkably hard wood) and Birch, many of which sport some mahoosive polypores.

Thanks for the post Kepis, nicely done.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
iv made many befor but more as a desposable item when im out. its hard to slice it so you have a smooth even surface, i think the trick is to do it in one steady stroke of the knife but you usualy end up running out of blade. we found one at college which was bigger than a dinner plate! :eek: now that would make an awsome strop:)

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE