Shannara

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
This wont be for everyone, but when I was a kid of about 7 or 8, my Mum sparked my interest in fantasy books.
Their were the seven CS Lewis Narnia books, the Tolkein books, Piers Anthony, and Terry Brooks, the Shannara trilogy.
I used to love those books when I was 9 years old. They got me into the woods.

I always wondered if they would make a TV series out of them, well it appears they finally have.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1051220/

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, I reckon that review is spot on, they should have made it more like game of thrones. It easily had the potential. Numpties at MTV

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's one of those geek classic things, isn't it ? Either folks really got the whole thing or they didn't, and some didn't know how to classify it either; was it for teenagers or could it be adult the way GOT was ?

Enjoy the film for what it is. Time Bandits improved no end on subsequent viewings :)

M

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Wonder if The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant will ever get the film treatment...

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hope they get this right as it was one of my favourite series of books. Not just the trilogy but the whole series.
Used to be a big fan of Margret Weiss and Tracy Hickman too with the Death Gate Cycle.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Not read the books but i'll keep an eye out now

I'm still hoping for a gritty and lunatic film trilogy of andy remic's "spiral" series.......anyone read them?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
David Eddings was one author i never read. I remember doing the Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone role playing books. Was silly really but when I cleared my parents house i left all my books as well as vinyl records.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Read The sword Of Shannara yonks ago, liked it even though it was a fairly shameless ripoff of Tolkien I thought it was better.
Less singing beardy midgets for a start and the thought that all the sword did was to expose the truth was a good one.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Read the series when was still in high school. Just watched first two episodes.

It's targeted at a younger MTV audience, no doubt, which ends up being to it's detriment I guess.

Will be interesting to see who GoT is after all the complaints last season, and their acknowledgement by the writers... I fear GoT might be going the same way.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I mean if you look at that classic Allanon photo on Johnyboys post then see the guy in the tv series, it just doesnt do it for me.
They're all beautiful teenage people......
I bet Terry Brooks isnt happy.
Frankly I'd say theyve really ballsed it up. No seventies grit to it.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There's more truth found in Sci-fi/fantasy than in most archaeological text books.

I got a friends daughter into Terry Pratchett many years back and she blames me for her love of history because of it. A lot of historical figures and situations woven in there along with some interesting philosophical view points that opened her mind up to some great facts and ideas. All wrapped up in hysterically funny and well written books.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Imagedude; I wont say anything lest it be unreasonable...

Sunndog, I am not sure. Anime except for the bottom layer is often very thoughtful; I grew up in a time when cartoons meant old Disney, WB, or some poorly made 20 minute toy commercial...Thankfully (probably because of the Japanese influence) we have got past that.

As for 40K we all have our vices dont we? (Though I dislike the Black Libraries concentration on the Imperium...)

I have doubts about much Fantasy because it is derivative, (Yes, I know you lot are going to tell me that Mr Pratchett is derivative but he is much more ingeniuos than many authors, and he is well read, -you can tell.) Ok, Professor Tolkien is also derivative but he too knows his sources.

I have read too much myth to take anything seriously. (Oh, and a true pagan society would not follow neopaganism, any more than a virgin would still be a virgin after an encounter with a unicorn.)

Some authors were darn good storytellers though (Howard and Burroughs, though they were hacks)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE