Selling Woodlore knife?

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
I am still in two minds here. I will be receiving (if I decide to go ahead) a woodlore knife later this month. The astronomical price and my current circumstances are causing me to wonder how much these sell for these days? Where is the best place to look? ebay? I saw tamarack were selling some for customers? How much are they going for?

The urge to buy it, sell it on then buy a Helle temagami is strong!! It has been over 5 years on the waiting list. Now 10?!?!

I fully understand the ethical considerations involved and have not decided what I am doing yet. I have read all the debates!!!:)

Cheers!

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
A lot of people swear by this knife, I myself think that some of the top class artisans on this forum are as good if not better in some cases. Looking back at the price of the aforementioned knife the price has shot up due to (IMHO) the current popularity of Bushcraft & Uncle Ray. when the cost is put down in notes its a huge amount of cash which could be better used to get a complete set up for Bush crafting. a large amount of people who get this knife will never use it for what it was intended & keep it away from view. If you buy one use it as it was intended as an everyday knife then after 5-10 years let people know how its holding up. Well that's me climbing down of my soap box.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
There's been a few sold on here after all it's a logical place to look if you were a buyer. I think £900 was for the instructor knife with the antler handle. A standard one probably around the £450 mark?

If you want to sell your Woodlore put it in the classified's. Lots of folk visit BCUK who don't want to get involved in the forum but would be willing to buy your knife. Your bound to turn a good profit if that's what you after. The 'ethical' discussion has been done to death and is pretty tedious TBH.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I was talking to a guy a couple weeks back that had been bought one as a present a few years back. He lost it on a beach in the dark and never found it. Hopefully somebody did find it before the sea claimed it. I'd like to think somebody got some joy from his sorrow! Good luck with the sale if you decide to buy it then sell it...

Biker

If I were in your shoes I'd follow through with the sale and then sell it on as is, before you get attached to it.

Like Georgdienemisis said above there are as good, if not better artisans here and at BB that would make something equally as good for a fraction of the price. Seems a shame to have waited so long only to pull out now. Like I said I'd nab it and flog it. But I'm not saying anything you don't already know.

No idea about the alternate knife you menitoned or the auction prices, I'm sure there are people who are clued up on such a thing

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Yes. Agreed with all the above. if I am honest, I'd rather have one of Rob Evans Bushtools anyway!. I've give it a lot of thought and decided it would be daft to not take it after all the years on the list. I am thinking of covering the cost of the initial purchase with profit enough to buy some things I've been after for a while. However, the dilemma is that the people on here are generally so genuine and generous so it would feel wrong on Bushcraft UK. That may be the most contradictory hypocritical stance I've ever tried to convince myself of?!?!!!!

Thanks for the responses all. :You_Rock_

Yes. Agreed with all the above. if I am honest, I'd rather have one of Rob Evans Bushtools anyway!. I've give it a lot of thought and decided it would be daft to not take it after all the years on the list. I am thinking of covering the cost of the initial purchase with profit enough to buy some things I've been after for a while. However, the dilemma is that the people on here are generally so genuine and generous so it would feel wrong on Bushcraft UK. That may be the most contradictory hypocritical stance I've ever tried to convince myself of?!?!!!!

Thanks for the responses all. :You_Rock_

its your decision to buy

if you do its your knife to do what ever you want with it

if you sell it you and the buyer come to an agreement on its value ( if you sell it cheap its possible the next person will sell it for what its market value is and benefit from your long waiting in the queue)

All the above is no body else s business ;)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
keep it and use it like i do after all thats what its for at the end of the day regards dave

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
There's been a few sold on here after all it's a logical place to look if you were a buyer. I think £900 was for the instructor knife with the antler handle. A standard one probably around the £450 mark?

The £900 Woodlore wasn't an Instructors version, it was the Julius Petterson 25th Anniversary Woodlore.

You can still sell a Woodlore on Ebay.com as long as you specify that there can be no UK bidders. I've sold a few knives on there recently without any hassle and it will go for more than £500 easily.

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
It will be the latest Ray Mears/Alan Wood woodlore knife, boxed and unused. I've ordered two sheaths in case I CAN'T sell it. Its an absolutely bloody ridiculous price for a knife!

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
You should definately go through with the purchase. What you do with it afterwards is your business and nobody else's. You were the one that went on the list & waited patiently for it.
One one hand it would be a shame not to use the knife for what it was intended for, but on the other hand it is a very expensive knife and as people have already said you could sell it and get another equally good knife and have change in your pocket. It's only this price because of the Ray Mears connection ! It will not out perform other knives that cost £300 pounds less.
Personally I would love to own one, just because it is a legendary knife. But would I use it ?? Probably not. It would just be something I would look at now & again. Which in my opinion would be a waste of money.

Perrari

Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
It will be the latest Ray Mears/Alan Wood woodlore knife, boxed and unused. I've ordered two sheaths in case I CAN'T sell it. Its an absolutely bloody ridiculous price for a knife!

I dont think you will struggle to sell it, there are collectors out there that would be happy to pay for it just to stick in their display cabinets.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Personally, I don't particularly like the idea of drawer queens - knives (and stoves, and cars, for that matter!) are meant to be used, otherwise whats the point! However, I recognise and fully accept that the man doing the buying is perfectly entitled to do what he wants with the goods he buys.

I also can see how things like the collectable price of something like the Bushlore can create a dilemma. Use it as it was designed for, and watch hundreds of pounds disappear off its value with the first cut and sharpen. If you never intend to sell it, all well and good, but we all know that unexpected events occur.

If you want a bushcrafter-type knife to use, there are plenty of such blades available that will do just as good a job "in the field" as a Woodlore and look as good, if not better (and they can be specifically tailored to your own requirements re grip, blade width/length etc etc). I'd say - if you have no overwhelming emotional reason to keep it, sell it for the "market price", get a replacement user and put the rest of the cash towards whatever you want to use it for!

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Personally, I don't particularly like the idea of drawer queens - knives (and stoves, and cars, for that matter!) are meant to be used, otherwise whats the point! However, I recognise and fully accept that the man doing the buying is perfectly entitled to do what he wants with the goods he buys.

I also can see how things like the collectable price of something like the Bushlore can create a dilemma. Use it as it was designed for, and watch hundreds of pounds disappear off its value with the first cut and sharpen. If you never intend to sell it, all well and good, but we all know that unexpected events occur.

If you want a bushcrafter-type knife to use, there are plenty of such blades available that will do just as good a job "in the field" as a Woodlore and look as good, if not better (and they can be specifically tailored to your own requirements re grip, blade width/length etc etc). I'd say - if you have no overwhelming emotional reason to keep it, sell it for the "market price", get a replacement user and put the rest of the cash towards whatever you want to use it for!

Me neither. i have a MORA which is absolutely fantastic. i was also lucky enough to invest in one of FGYT's early works which is also great - fancy a nice re-handle soon! I too always wanted a Woodlore, but after such a lengthy cooling off period, i just couldn't justify treating it like any other knife (which I know you should!!) As stated here, i would find it hard not to see pounds falling away with each cut! Ridiculous. it would be great to sell it to someone who doesn't want the wait and make a clear profit. Current fancies are a RobEvs knife,Helle temagami, mini-belt-hatchet and possibly a Rab hooped bivvy. Should be able to get some of them with proceeds. :)

Biker

Here's a option which would allow you sell on ebay.uk:

Sell your place on the waiting list. :cool:

State all the details explaining that this is effectively allowing the winning bidder to jump the que of a waiting list 5+ years. Obviously you'll have to word that sales ad very carefully to get as big a customer catchment as you can. You could also advertise it here and at BB

The buyer gets the knife and you get the cash and hopefully benefit from a massive bidding frenzy in the closing seconds of the sale.

Anyway 'twas just a thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE