Selling off the stockpile. Should I?..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Here's the thing. Im a bit of a magpie. A bit of a hoarder. I tend to acquire gear on "what if" scenarios. Consequently over the last 2 or 3 years I've ammased quite a lot of good kit but it seldom gets used.

Soooo thinking of selling a lot of it off. I figure it may be good for the soul as well as the bank balance. However also worried i'll regret it.

Anyone else done the same? Any regrets?

Cheers

Mike

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Haha :)

yep, that sounds just like me !!

i've "collected"...."hoarded"....got stuff for the "what if" reason for years, not long back i decided that some of it had to go, at the start it was really hard, but once i'd made 3 piles.........keep,.......maybe........get rid, it was easier and slowly the stuff in the maybe pile got moved into the get rid pile, it not only cut down the amount of crap i had around but also gave me funds.........just in case.! so i look at it not as getting rid of stuff but "changing" it :) makes me feel better :)

MongooseDownUnder

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
Funny that I was going through a lot of my outdoor gear this week too. Some items I have rarely used but they are good quality and some of them are irreplaceable (not made anymore) so I don't think I could actually part with much of it.
Cheers
Adrian

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ohh difficult one that - have sold some great stuff and regretted it, lovely Kona mountain bike to pay for Landie engine rebuild - it died again shortly afterwords due to other Landie problems. Fantastic Falcon FN12 thumbhole air-rifle to pay the bills.

Guess it comes down to how much you love something and how desperate you are. But it does seem a shame to have stuff sitting doing nothing. I've been considering selling my BSA Super10 carbine that's all tricked out and some nice paintings of an artist I collect to make ends meet at the moment - but just not eating instead. Good for the waistline. :)

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Guess it comes down to how much you love something and how desperate you are. But it does seem a shame to have stuff sitting doing nothing. I've been considering selling my BSA Super10 carbine that's all tricked out and some nice paintings of an artist I collect to make ends meet at the moment - but just not eating instead. Good for the waistline. :)

this is the situation i'm in at the monent and why i'm trying to sell some of my knives, they're advertised for a lot less than i paid for them but still no-one is buying, not even silly offers.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
this is the situation i'm in at the monent and why i'm trying to sell some of my knives, they're advertised for a lot less than i paid for them but still no-one is buying, not even silly offers.

It does break your heart when you have to sell at a low price. Especially when you try to replace it again and have to pay full whack. Feel for you Robbi. Must say too that I also do feel guilty on the odd occasion I get a bargain and find out that the seller's in stook I feel really bad.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I used to keep everything but then I realised it just uses up all the space... now I have pretty much one of everything I need and it feels nice not having to decide what to use all the time and worry about resale value etc.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
When I am undergoing a house clean, I ask myself - "would I prefer the space created after getting rid of this or the lack of space from keeping it?". Most of the time I prefer the space and tidiness

can you tell us what stuff or take a pic of it?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Yes very much had a huge collection of British ww2 kit(clothing,webbing,smocks,helmets,boots,bedrolls etc)some really rare stuff, and i sold the lot, very much regret it now,but nowt i can do about it.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Just done the self same thing. It really is a good idea. It makes you use the small quantity of kit you keep

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
No you should keep it all.

I am going to flog off most of the stuff I have back in Scotland and your selling your gear will depress the market. :)

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
If your not using it or can't see yourself using in the future then sell it, keeping it for the just in case - well is that a good enough reason to hold onto kit indefinitely?

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Don't sell it until you are ready. You can change your mind and sell it later. You can't change your mind and keep it later.

I've sold many things I shouldn't have so I gave up selling things. When it time for something to go I know. I don't have to ask. There is no uncertaintly about it.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My biggest dilemma at the moment is I'm holding on to gear just in case my kids need one if they come along with me - dupes and spares. However I think I'm going to standardise on 2 systems. A one person system and a 2 person system. Then I can combine the 2 to take both boys with me. Anything else will get sold off.

A thread will be born shortly. Start saving.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE