Seller Refusing Refund

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/your-rights-when-buying-second-hand-goods

Your second-hand shopping rights
  • Second-hand goods bought from online retailers are covered by the Consumer Contracts Regulations.
  • If you buy second-hand goods from a retailer, you're also covered by the Consumer Rights Act.
  • Buyer beware if you’re buying from a private seller - they don't have to draw attention to defects.
best of luck.....

That's interesting to know - thanks!

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I would be happy with that for the money tbh, the sellers photo's clearly show the rust spots and the wood curls at the head/helve junction, ive a Gransfors Wildlife hatchet here that has the steel wedge sitting proud, doesn't worry me, just knock it it in if it's problematic for you

I traded a guy last year a belt knife that i wasn't using for a Wetterlings hatchet, the pictures all looked good, it was used and you could see that, but he also took some clever photo's that masked the bevels and where they had been hit with a bench grinder.

I asked if everything was good, no edge damage, helve tight in the head etc etc etc, was assured that it was razor sharp, the helve was good and no damage anywhere, when it turned up, it was as blunt as a block of cheese and the edge bevels were in an awful state having been attacked by aforementioned bench grinder, but even so i was happy, just took me a while to get an edge on it and slowly hand grind (i dont have a grinder) the bevels, the pics show the edge after i sharpened it, you can see the remnants of the bench grinding, it doesnt effect the way the hatchet works and over time, albeit a long time, the grind marks will disappear.

As i received it, ive run the picture through a bit of software to try and bring out the grinding on the edge

20160825_145447 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

After i attacked it

20160825_161815 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

20160825_161815-1 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Needless to say, i wont be trading or buying anything with this guy again, as he blatantly lied or did he, as far as i know, the grinding to him may have been perfectly normal practice and in his eyes the hatchet was fine, unfortunately when buying second hand over the interwebs its one of the risks you take, the only way you can be 100% sure of what you are getting is a face to face meet up, but that of course is not always convenient, especially if you are at opposite ends of the country.

Reactions: KenThis and Stew

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Seems like you got what was in the pictures. Name and shame wont get you a lot of sympathy i'm afraid

Maybe theres not enough mark up on it for you but its worth what you paid imo

The seller didn't specify original haft and you can see the rust and curls in the pics......were you expecting a different axe to one pictured?

Reactions: beachlover

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Seems like you got what was in the pictures. Name and shame wont get you a lot of sympathy i'm afraid

Maybe theres not enough mark up on it for you but its worth what you paid imo

The seller didn't specify original haft and you can see the rust and curls in the pics......were you expecting a different axe to one pictured?

Completely agree.

It’s disappointing when people take to forums to further a dispute either with a retailer/dealer (when redress can be obtained through other channels), or as in this case with another member.

This is the second time in a few months that the OP has tried to raise a BCUK rabble to head to the castle carrying pitchforks and flaming torches - last time it was GB themselves that were the target of his wrath. IIRC, a new axe chipped in use, they sent a replacement, let him keep the old one and he still wasn’t happy because they hadn’t apologised profusely enough!

https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/gransfors-bruk-double-bit-axe-failure.148055/

If the OP had received a housebrick in a box or the axe had been described as “as new” then I might have some sympathy but I agree with the consensus that while the blemishes might have been haggling points in a face to face sale the axe appears to fit squarely in the range of “used but great condition”. The axe had only been listed for 7 minutes before the OP jumped in and claimed it and unless the seller made any private assurances about the condition that were not true, IMO the OP got what he bargained for even if it was not the absolute gem he hoped for.

Although he seems to be being a bit coy about it now, the OP does seem to regularly buy, refurbish and sell axes which arguably makes him a commercial rather than consumer customer which may affect how PP or the small claims court treats any claim. If when selling stuff, the OP is happy to offer full refunds AND cover the postage costs if a buyer is not happy then that is above and beyond what most people would do and it is no reflection on the seller here, if he is not.

From his avatar, the OP appears to have rather more of his life ahead of him than most forum members so let’s hope that common sense prevails and this gets put down to experience (IIRC they now call it a “teachable moment”), and does not become a festering personal grudge and he gets back to posting some of the interesting stuff he has previously.

Here endeth the lesson, it’s stopped raining, the sun is out and I have some seized Ifor Williams brakes to wrestle with!

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
It's been Modded.

M

If the OP is as youthful as he looks in his avatar then losing perspective and getting his boxers in a bunch is easier to foregive than with someone old enough to know better.

I appreciate that sales through the forum are entirely a matter between the parties but (assuming that after a bit of reflection, the OP decides to let the matter drop), could the mods consider culling the whole thread so all concerned can move on without there being a permanent and public record of a regrettable misunderstanding.

PS Trailer brakes fixed! :)

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Which misunderstanding?

I have never been a fan of public whipping. Which the OP did.

I wonder, as it seems he is in the business of tarting up used stuff and reselling, how much he would resell it for?

I chose the word “misunderstanding” deliberately - if the expression “pouring oil on troubled waters” does not translate into Swedish, I’ll leave you to G00gle it.

I think the OP now has a very clear idea of what people on the forum think about (a) the substance of his complaint and (b) his chosen method of pursuing it and if anyone is in danger of getting a “public whipping”, it is the OP.

There are more than enough grumpy (I’m sure they would consider themselves merely opinionated), men of advancing years using this forum as a vehicle for expressing their views on the world and it would be good if we had more active members like the OP (a youngster, living in the UK and actively engaged in in bushcraft activities), and it would be a real shame if the responses (mine included), to his rather ill-considered thread put him off posting in future - hence my suggestion of finding a way to quietly make it disappear.

BaileyCluskey

Mar 3, 2016
Leicester
I chose the word “misunderstanding” deliberately - if the expression “pouring oil on troubled waters” does not translate into Swedish, I’ll leave you to G00gle it.

I think the OP now has a very clear idea of what people on the forum think about (a) the substance of his complaint and (b) his chosen method of pursuing it and if anyone is in danger of getting a “public whipping”, it is the OP.

There are more than enough grumpy (I’m sure they would consider themselves merely opinionated), men of advancing years using this forum as a vehicle for expressing their views on the world and it would be good if we had more active members like the OP (a youngster, living in the UK and actively engaged in in bushcraft activities), and it would be a real shame if the responses (mine included), to his rather ill-considered thread put him off posting in future - hence my suggestion of finding a way to quietly make it disappear.

Completely agree. Lets all brush this aside and maintain the community spirit!

Reactions: KenThis

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No, not much wisdom translates from English - Swedish - English well!

If the OP is young, I guess he is used to buying ‘badly seen’ or even ‘unseen’ online.
Older dudes like some of us prefer to physically hold and inspect the goods, before we buy.

I buy loads of stuff unseen online. Stuff ranging in cost from a couple of coins to serious money. Get hit with an unpleasant surprise from time.
Part of the internet buying game!

I hope the OP does not take to much offence from our opinions. He should not.
Learns something valuable too.

Last edited:

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Just to show the opposite, I have just bought 2 Items off Ebay, 28 assorted drills and 27 assorted milling cutters, total price inc postage £23.48p, I was astounded to find out the seller sent me 2 parcels(because of the weight) costing him £21.35p in total postage meaning he actually realised the measly sum of £2.13p for all the drills and cutters etc,, I contacted him and offered to reimburse the cost of postage as most of the Items were new and of good quality and are a complete bargain, he refused saying it was his own fault, and he was glad the items would be put to some use.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I must say that I don,t fully understand the last few comments, especially asking for the thread to disappear etc, we all learn from our mistakes and we do this by someone telling us we are wrong, or finding out for ourselves we are wrong, I think its safe to say the OP now realises this, and probably realised that the matter was between him and the seller not really for public discussion, but if you are willing to post things on a forum, then it will be praised and it will be criticised, this is how we learn, so unless threads go way beyond what they should or get too personal or full of profanities, then they should remain for others to read and contribute to if they want. I am sure a lot of people , not only the OP have learnt things from this thread and thats the way it should be.

""There are more than enough grumpy (I’m sure they would consider themselves merely opinionated), men of advancing years using this forum as a vehicle for expressing their views on the world ""

Yep i am probably one of those old grumpies., and iIam still learning

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I would be happy with that for the money tbh, the sellers photo's clearly show the rust spots and the wood curls at the head/helve junction, ive a Gransfors Wildlife hatchet here that has the steel wedge sitting proud, doesn't worry me, just knock it it in if it's problematic for you

I traded a guy last year a belt knife that i wasn't using for a Wetterlings hatchet, the pictures all looked good, it was used and you could see that, but he also took some clever photo's that masked the bevels and where they had been hit with a bench grinder.

I asked if everything was good, no edge damage, helve tight in the head etc etc etc, was assured that it was razor sharp, the helve was good and no damage anywhere, when it turned up, it was as blunt as a block of cheese and the edge bevels were in an awful state having been attacked by aforementioned bench grinder, but even so i was happy, just took me a while to get an edge on it and slowly hand grind (i dont have a grinder) the bevels, the pics show the edge after i sharpened it, you can see the remnants of the bench grinding, it doesnt effect the way the hatchet works and over time, albeit a long time, the grind marks will disappear.

As i received it, ive run the picture through a bit of software to try and bring out the grinding on the edge

20160825_145447 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

After i attacked it

20160825_161815 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

20160825_161815-1 by Mark D Emery, on Flickr

Needless to say, i wont be trading or buying anything with this guy again, as he blatantly lied or did he, as far as i know, the grinding to him may have been perfectly normal practice and in his eyes the hatchet was fine, unfortunately when buying second hand over the interwebs its one of the risks you take, the only way you can be 100% sure of what you are getting is a face to face meet up, but that of course is not always convenient, especially if you are at opposite ends of the country.
Get a wet whet wheel, massive time saver, even a cheap one like I have, even though I have to bolt it to the table when I wish to use it. The hatchet drills blade edges shears etc. Not a fan of grinders that they usually come with, a belt sander may be better. Dressing the stone is agood one tolearn. Also learning to use it in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE