Seller Refusing Refund

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I must say that I don,t fully understand the last few comments, especially asking for the thread to disappear etc, we all learn from our mistakes and we do this by someone telling us we are wrong, or finding out for ourselves we are wrong, I think its safe to say the OP now realises this, and probably realised that the matter was between him and the seller not really for public discussion, but if you are willing to post things on a forum, then it will be praised and it will be criticised, this is how we learn, so unless threads go way beyond what they should or get too personal or full of profanities, then they should remain for others to read and contribute to if they want. I am sure a lot of people , not only the OP have learnt things from this thread and thats the way it should be.

""There are more than enough grumpy (I’m sure they would consider themselves merely opinionated), men of advancing years using this forum as a vehicle for expressing their views on the world ""

Yep i am probably one of those old grumpies.

Unfortunately for the youth of today, the all pervading nature of social media means that they do their growing up in public with the result that evidence of their mistakes is indelibly recorded for posterity.

I for one am very glad that the only record of some of the daft things I said and did while growing up is in the alcohol fuddled memories of those present and I never woke up to find that a video of me behaving like a d!ck the night before had already been shared and viewed several thousand times before breakfast.

I’m sure that on reflection, the OP wishes that he had never started this thread and although vindicated by most of the responses, I’m sure that the seller would prefer not to have been dragged through all of this - hence my suggestion to delete the thread.

I should perhaps have been clearer that I was including myself in the “old grumpies” - there are plenty of us on here and we tend to dominate discussions. It would be a shame if a young and to date quite active member, ceased to post (it is over a day now since he last checked in), because of the reaction to his ill-judged thread. I’m sure lessons have been learnt and IMHO it would be no bad thing if this thread disappeared but that is not my decision.

Reactions: oldtimer

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
We are grumpy because we know that we have not learned from our youthful misstakes.
And do not have the same length of time left as the young ones to learn.....
I am grateful too the social media did not exist when I was young,and wild.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I do so agree with Nomad64's point about publicly recorded youthful mistakes. I can think of too many things I hope other people have forgotten about. One trick is to keep moving- house, job, country even. And to never, ever become famous!
Fortunately, my wife of 56 years has either a very poor memory (or enormous tact).

One of my favourite Oscar Wilde quotations is; "What a pity that youth is wasted on the young."

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Nothing wrong with that axe. Use one for a couple of weeks at bushmoot (lol, my auto correct spelt Buddha moot!) Not being precious (oiling it after every use) with it and it would look like that! Mine always does, yet cleans up perfect.

The handle is probably original, used in anger and they can get the curls under the head with ease and the fit looks normal.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Whilst the parade of grumpiness is fascinating, I'm sure the OP considers himself suitably educated.

If however he does find himself wanting to get rid of the offending axe, it will find a more than happy home living with me. ;) But given that it's a bit rusty and has clearly has work done to the handle I'd only offer about £30. :sneaky:

I jest of course. I'm sure it'll clean up just fine.

I had something like this happen to me in reverse the other day. I paid for an item on ebay while offshore and returned home a few days later to an email saying that my money had been refunded in full with no explanation whatsoever.
Naturally I'm :O_O: - what the goodness gracious is this nonsense. - Sent the seller a message. Naturally no reply. Sent a more strongly worded ultimatum to which I get the "hey hey hey, let's calm down here"

Turns out the item was returned to him as "un-deliverable" so he refunded my money. I find this a bit odd as the office is manned 9-5 mon - fri. Anyway I pay again and he posts it out again.
I paid a little extra given the misunderstanding and that he's out of pocked on postage. - And it doesn't turn up. Almost ten days go by with no show - so I sent another message "Hey bla bla bla gimme my money back" - we are both confused at the no show, he refunds the cash (again) and I promise to let him know if it shows up etc.

What should land on my workbench the very next afternoon? So I sent him his cash for a third time and walk away a happier man with faith in ebay sellers restored and yet more confusion at how the post office can be so bad at times.

Andy

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
The axe now appears to be on Ebay and the description made me laugh, including the bit about studying photos carefully amazing what a bit of TLC will do. Have copied description below

Here we have for sale a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe. A legendary tool with a well earned reputation as being the finest bushcraft axe on the market.
Has been well looked after and is complete with its original leather sheath. Comes with a good edge.

These axes are in such high demand that Gransfors Bruks is struggling to keep up, as such suppliers are running low and often don't have them in stock.

Perfect for life in the wilderness!

Specifications:

Length with handle: 49cm
Weight: 2lbs
Please study the images carefully as for condition.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Surely the production has increased many times over since they acquired one of the competing manufacturers?

That's not how marketing works usually. Very often the reason for buying out a competitor is to control the supply thereby keeping the price (and the margin) high.

It's my understanding that they owned them for a long time before bringing all manufacturing under one name - but I may be wrong.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Off topic,
Of course the production has at least doubled!

Gränsfors production + production of the (newly rebranded to Gränsfors) other factory.

The rebranding is wrong, imo.
Price increase? Of course they increase the prices, as long as fora like this are doing free advertisment and many new bushcrafters are buying the products brcause they think owning one axe branded ‘Gränsfors’ is a must.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
The SFA used to be about £60 did it not? Now I see they're often over £100.

That double bit used to be well under £200 I'm sure. I half considered buying one a number of years ago but it was too expensive.

With makers like John Neeman and Autine on the scene I'm sure a well made factory axe like the GB, at a relatively reasonable price is a very attractive option for many.

Clearly I need to start making axes.

Andy

Reactions: Janne

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
The SFA used to be about £60 did it not? Now I see they're often over £100.

That double bit used to be well under £200 I'm sure. I half considered buying one a number of years ago but it was too expensive.

With makers like John Neeman and Autine on the scene I'm sure a well made factory axe like the GB, at a relatively reasonable price is a very attractive option for many.

Clearly I need to start making axes.

Andy

Obviously taking a leaf from fallkniven's book....

Reactions: Everything Mac

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I understand his frustration, having just forked out 60 on the axe, a new haft on it,

https://www.proadventure.co.uk/acat...Handle_with_wood_and_steel_wedge.html#SID=194

Hes got to get 85 ish for it just to break even, even though hes obviously put some time in it. Such is business i suppose.

Looks like the same handle to me. Same marks around the wedge. Odd he doesnt mention how the head is out of line though since he complained about the previous seller not mentioning it...

I must admit I'm not a fan of people snapping up second hand bargains off forums and selling on for profit.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Looks like the same handle to me. Same marks around the wedge. Odd he doesnt mention how the head is out of line though since he complained about the previous seller not mentioning it...

I must admit I'm not a fan of people snapping up second hand bargains off forums and selling on for profit.

I'm sure hes delt with the problems, and besides the forum has given him the seal of approval.I think anyone trying to buy and sell on from here is kidding themselves. Most of the time, a reasonable price item + postage+ effort +postage on +ebay fees = a lot more than its worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE