Selfmade Walking Stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Hi Folks!

I´ve done myself a walkingstick and wanna show you the result of my work - Hope you like it!

Made this stick out of a maple sapling and dryed it over the last 3 weeks in the corner of my livingroom...... :D

The next question was the head part of the stick and I decided to make it out of a piece antler llieing around in my workshop.
The handle is made out of string which is wrapped around the stick and tied off with a loop for my hand.

As bottom part I decided (after a 3 weeks of thinking) to make it out of an antler piece as well. Also I set a 6mm stainless steel bolt in which I filed cross whise to get a ribbing in the end. This stainless steel bolt provides the bottom part of the stick to get damaged by any stones or other parts from the surface I´m walking on.

To get the stick a bit durable from water and dampness I´ve done a coating of glaze. I also decided to dye the wood for better looking over all.

Thanks for watching and hope you like it as well as I do.
Gave the stick a test today on a little trip on a mountain nearby (1600m and no problem at all) :cool:

cheers Mike

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Nice! I have plans on a walking stick myself but I am to cowardly to carry it when people might see me, they probably think I am playing Lord of the rings or something...

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
thx for all the kind words........
and YES I use my walking stick ;)
I also met a lot of people on my last tour and no-one talk badly about my walkingstick.......I also met 2 other guys using a selfmade walkingstick along the route - so I´m not alone out there :D

cheers
Mike

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
You start with a stick, and you make ... a stick!
:bigok:
Why try and improve some thing nature has taken millennia to evolve...
I guess because some sticks are more fancy than others so we have to address the balance....
On the list of things people want making a fancy stick is number 5.....so I'll be attempting one in about August.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE