self stitching your wound

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
cut my finger to the bone with an axe once just taped it up until i got home then cleaned the flappy bit to make sure there was nothing in it put steri strips on it left it for a few days jobs a goodun very light scar regards dave

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I managed to put a big hole by my knee while out in the woods... deep cut plasters did close it but we decided to build a bridge and it opened up.

I went to the hospital and asked the doctor if I could do one (a stitch) and he agreed... It wasn't hard once pain was taken out of the situation but can't see it being fun when there is pain involved.

Putting tape on a cut is certainly the best idea but only in areas that don't bend, twist or stretch too much.

Jun 25, 2013
england
man i gotta say,- reading through all the postings i have to say - stitchin youreself up has come a long long way in the last ten years. nowadays you guys got steristrips and micropore tape and access to stuff like Betadine. Mates, i dont advise you ever go there but it it has been necessary for me to stitch myself up countless times with a simple suture kit, curved needle, suture, 1/2 bottle of scotch or some such and a cigarette. Its what it is and if you ever found yourself in the same situation you would do the same thing. there are occasions where there just isnt anyone else around to do it for you so what ya gonna do ? trust me - were all laughing thesedays when it comes to self stitching. Kl

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I cut out a large subcutaneous cyst once, after using a very fine hyperdermic needle for insulin injections, to inject lidocaine [anasthetic] into it, then sliced it out with a sterilised broken razor blade. Very deep cuts down both sides of the cyst. Used my fishing hemostats to grip it, whilst slicing. Lots of blood. Then irrigated the wound, and packed it with aquacell ribbon, for a couple of weeks.

Healed up nicely.

Wouldnt recommend it. GP kept fobbing me off, until one day I'd had enough.

*I dont have any medical training, but Im a bit accident prone, and have paid attention as they've repaired me in A&E.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
man i gotta say,- reading through all the postings i have to say - stitchin youreself up has come a long long way in the last ten years. nowadays you guys got steristrips and micropore tape and access to stuff like Betadine. Mates, i dont advise you ever go there but it it has been necessary for me to stitch myself up countless times with a simple suture kit, curved needle, suture, 1/2 bottle of scotch or some such and a cigarette.
I have this image of someone looking like Frankenstein's monster, with stitch-lines all over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE