Seeking a Traditional Union Suit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
I'm looking for a traditional Union Suit (one-piece underwear long-john combination ).

I have a cotton one & I've seen the duofold two layer cotton / wool.

Would anyone know were I can get a Union Suit of 100% or very high content, wool (merino?) ?

Ideally button up & in traditional Red ! (it's a Clint Eastwood thing..)

Thanks in advance...

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
the only place ive seen them was in Silvermans yrs ago, though i cant tell you if it was cotton or wool, was red with the button up though, dont know if they still do them and they tend to(silvermans) air on the expensive side for kit. Just checked, not what your after its cotton polyster combo, £39.99

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
seems the wool ones tend to be in the U.S. Loads on ebay cotton, US ebay has wool ones.

Thanks Andy - I found one - 'bit expensive, I'd order if I was sure good quality... ( Red dye required )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wool-Union-...hash=item3aadb08608:m:mMWizuNboSwE5QZj_8YjGbQ

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Thermal+Underwear/Carhartt+Midweight+Cotton+Union+Suit

With flap and of a colour that ensures you don't get shot in the a**e!

Top bit of kit

K

You Sir, are a gentleman....
However I'm seeking wool.....

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Thanks Andy - I found one - 'bit expensive, I'd order if I was sure good quality... ( Red dye required )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wool-Union-...hash=item3aadb08608:m:mMWizuNboSwE5QZj_8YjGbQ

Probably wouldn't leave you much change out of £100 by the time you got it home. Having said that. it'd cost about the same to make one in merino jersey; there's a union suit pattern here, and there's patterns for onesies &one-piece PJs readily available. Merino jersey is about £30/m and you might get away with 3m

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Probably wouldn't leave you much change out of £100 by the time you got it home. Having said that. it'd cost about the same to make one in merino jersey; there's a union suit pattern here, and there's patterns for onesies &one-piece PJs readily available. Merino jersey is about £30/m and you might get away with 3m

Thanks Mr. Bilmo
'probably not a bad price for what it is.
Looking at seller's feedback , several mention this item, all positive.

'might have to take a punt - only other problem is sizing - it seems my top & bottom don't match ! :rolleyes:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
spacer.gif
Don't fanny about dying one:

http://global.llbean.com/shop/Two-Layer-Union-Suit,-Mens/47356.html
spacer.gif

K

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hey mate,
Aclima do a woollen one piece (200grm weight) warm wool. i have a bit of their stuff and its very good. the only place i've seen them is at out north.com. At €149 it's not cheap but might be what you are looking for.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Not sure if this is exactly what you are after but check out the Zone One Sheep Suit from Icebreaker even has a hood 100% merino at 200gsm (also comes in all black)

MD-15138_20160118170339_3022bc40f336ef55.jpg

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Thanks guys.
Lots of food for thought.
The icebreaker looks an amazing garment, but not the traditional look.

The Ebay one doesn't mention a back-flap, which is important, as the reason I'm seeking wool/no cotton,
is wearing for extended periods without removing...
It does however offer this feature :

" As an extra bonus you will be less vulnerable to the sneak snowball-down-the-pants attacks which appear to be on the rise in these parts. " :D

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
When Icebreaker get my size back in in the all black version i'm having one, they only have it available in size small and in black left on their UK site at £90, sadly i'm sure when they get my size in (probably in the new version of it) the bloody price will go back up, for anyone who is size small grab a bargain

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I've found cotton to not be the best at being a whicking layer, cotton stays wet and starts to stink quick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE