See through hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I'm tweaking my kit at the moment not so much in terms of weight but more size to fit into cycling bags. My current hammocks I made years ago and they have (and still are) served me well but they are quite bulky. I was looking at the Alpkit Mora hammock but Sarge mentioned the Sea to Summit Ultralight. Anyway a couple of days later one miraculously appeared in the mail. The pack size of this is tiny and it weighs just over 200g including straps:

IMG_20200518_150617.jpg

Apologies for the feet...

Anyway it terms out that once you take off the cardboard packing material it gets smaller again.

I took down the old hammock I'd been using during the lockdown and pitched the new one:

IMG_20200519_102607.jpgIMG_20200519_102544.jpgIMG_20200519_103156.jpgIMG_20200519_103212.jpg

Pitch time is very fast using the suspension straps and clips it came with and it had no problems holding my bulk.

It's surprisingly comfortable and I found it long enough although it is a bit snug around my shoulders. I could move around and sleep slightly diagonally which helped with this, I'm going to need to spend a few nights and see how comfortable it really is.

My main concern... the thing is completely see through!

I'll let you know more once I've given it a proper testing.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I'd find that very disconcerting I think. Being able to see the floor below me when I'm trying to sleep

200g puts my FrontlineXL to shame though, even after converting to whoopie straps the beast is still over a kg in weight.

Pedals or engine?

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com
This will be for pedals, I'm not as bothered about the pack size on the Tiger.

I'd be interested to compare it to the Alpkit one and the the same one but in XL.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would be worried about longevity. I have one of the good UKHammock WoodsmanX hammocks, and one can see through that, somewhat. Fairly soon after I got it, I found that there were stress marks appearing in the fabric, fibres pulling and showing more light through. Over time, one or two such places became actual tears. The first few such marks were probably the result of me treating the hammock like my Hennessey, grabbing the fabric for purchase to slew myself around as I got settled for the night. Later stress marks were more likely the result of climbing in and out, they do see concentrated on the entrance/exit side.

More recently I bought some hammock fabric and a hammock from Dutchware Gear, very light fabric, but not see-through. Much tighter weave than that used on the Woodsman. The only way the Sea to Summit can be that see-through is both thinner yarn and looser weave, not conducive to durability.

I think this is a "consumable" hammock ;)

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
It's going to be interesting to see how it lasts. They claim a lifetime warranty on manufacturing defects however it doesn't include normal wear and tear, what that means in reality I've no idea so watch this space. As I said for longer camps I'll go with the tried and tested home made ones but for lightweight cycle rides or hikes I'm quite impressed so far.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE