Securing your shotgun away from home?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can get a bolt in cabinet for your car - a trigger locak and pass through lock are possible too. My Marlin came with a lock that goes right through the barrel!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Or padlock it to the radiator in the hotel room
I have a Protector slip which comes with a padlock so you can secure it to stuff.
I use it all the time when I'm on my 'keepering duties and leave it in the Landy

Cost around £100 IIRC

Mark

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
As I understand it, the police also like you to keep the components separate - so, barrels padlocked in the boot of the car, stock locked away in your hotel room. That way, nobody gets both bits at the same time...

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Yep, best policy and as there is no legal requirement for the bolt to be "non locking" you can carry it about your person wherever you go!

As for leaving firearm pressure components in an unattended vehicle unless I can park in such a way that I can see the vehicle I don't. Can mean lots of coffee and scoff by the side of the road rather than a warm Greasy Spoon but what price peace of mind?

Other than a cleaning rod and the right size ammo I don't recommend threading anything through your barrel to secure it unless you can put up with plate sized groups that will be the norm once the crown has been given a nice Scandy grind!

Cheers

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I was thinking of the chamber lock device but I'm worried about passing a cable down the barrel and damaging the barrel.

I dont want to leave it in the car either in pieces or in a bolt in cabinet.

Any other ideas?

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
OK, that's making it trickier. You could always splosh for a hugely expensive car safe. Or if you're going somewhere for a while, leave it with local gun club. Some places will let you keep it with you - I drive a Series 1 Landy, so no locks at all on the car. After a day's shooting we lean the guns up at the corner of the bar, the landlord's got no problem with that. Most of this will come down to common sense, but remember that if you lose it, plod will most likely not be at all understanding regardless of what security measures you took...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE