Second willow basket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Went on a paid course on Saturday. Took 6 hours to create this. Very proud of what I've achieved. We were running out of time at the end so the handle is a bit rushed but it's sturdy and functional. About 40cm across.

basket2.jpg

I've just sorted last year's harvest to length and will be soaking some soon.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Went on a paid course on Saturday. Took 6 hours to create this. Very proud of what I've achieved. We were running out of time at the end so the handle is a bit rushed but it's sturdy and functional. About 40cm across.

basket2.jpg

That's very nice and even for a second basket and well-done on having time to get a handle on it! Did you find it easier now that you had some kind of an idea of what was going on? I found my second basket much easier to get even than the first one. Who was running the course?

basket2.jpg

Excellent Spandit, well done. I think that this is incredible for your first basket.
Regards, Keith.

Reactions: spandit

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
That's very nice and even for a second basket and well-done on having time to get a handle on it! Did you find it easier now that you had some kind of an idea of what was going on? I found my second basket much easier to get even than the first one. Who was running the course?
Christiane Gunzi was running it. I did find it easier, I think, but everyone made good baskets. I'd have liked more time but I guess making the next one should be even quicker.

Handle needed another weaver as it's a bit loose. Strong, though, unlikely to come apart in the near future

Reactions: SaraR

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Even some attention to color design. Very attractive. I can imagine that full of foraged apples.
The changes in colour are because she brought along various types of willow for us to try, wasn't really a design per se. I used quite a bit of brown black maul because that's what I grow. It was tough to use.

As a result I ordered a load of fresh cut willow varieties from Somerset and have planted about 500 more whips this week. Britanny Green, Flanders Red and Dickie Meadows

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Beautiful work. May I ask who the course was run by? My good lady has expressed an interest in doing some basket work.
Many thanks! Christiane Gunzi was running it. Bound to be someone local to you. If not, there are online courses and tutorials. If you have a source of free willow or are prepared to buy it then just give it a go!

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Looks fantastic! I've always enjoyed basket weaving, but never had the chance to try proper willow. I've wanted to see about importing some, but.... well, it's one of a thousand things I'd like to get involved in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE