Seasons gone mad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Now I know things like blackberrys have been ripening earlier but this really is odd.
There is a strawberry planter on our front yard filled with early fruiting strawbery plants, exposed to all upland Derbyshire weather can throw at it. Today, 1st Dec, one plant has 2 large Strawberries on it and they are starting to ripen!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Just one more thing man has well and truly :censored: up?

I don't know if you will agree but for me the biggest disapointment in the change of UK seasons is the lack of crisp & bright autumns as I recall them throughout the 60's and 70's. They just seem to be neither fish nor fowl anymore and with the first strong winds the leaves are gone! Having said that the recent cold-snap lifted my spiirts until the rain of this morning returned along with the one thing I HATE MOST from October through to April: "Mild weather"! :aargh4:

Cheers

K

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
I think the Headline for the Thread should not be "Seasons gone mad" as it is unjust towards nature. It should be "Mad human behavoir and Seasons reactions". We should not blame nature when we do something wrong. :rolleyes: :D

Cheers
Abbe

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Our forsythia tree in the garden is in flower, it does not usually flower until february. But we also have a daphne o dora, which also flowers in february and the flowers are not out yet on this. It is only 10 feet away from the forsythia. Very strange............Jon

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well the news today says that the "gulf stream" is cooling, and we will be in for Canadian weather patterns in the future (I always take these things with a pinch of salt). That suits me just fine, as you say a crisp cold winter and a hot summer. Preferable IMO to grey and dank 10 months of the year. Its probably just media hype capitalizing on the recent "cold snap".
Cheers
Rich

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've just noticed some new leaves shooting on some of the elder bushes round here...

Roving Rich said:
Well the news today says that the "gulf stream" is cooling, and we will be in for Canadian weather patterns in the future (I always take these things with a pinch of salt). That suits me just fine, as you say a crisp cold winter and a hot summer. Preferable IMO to grey and dank 10 months of the year. Its probably just media hype capitalizing on the recent "cold snap".
Cheers
Rich

Back in 98/99 studying geolgy, we studied the gulfstream for sometime.. The idea that melting fresh water would sink the stream was a major worry then. The science is there.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
OutdoorTom said:
Back in 98/99 studying geolgy, we studied the gulfstream for sometime.. The idea that melting fresh water would sink the stream was a major worry then. The science is there.

Yep we studied the same thing (but for Zoology) around the same time but they suggested to us that it would either sink the stream or shift it further south and we get temperatures/conditions like northern Scandinavia/Russia i.e. frozen ports, tundra and the like.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Beer Monster said:
Yep we studied the same thing (but for Zoology) around the same time but they suggested to us that it would either sink the stream or shift it further south and we get temperatures/conditions like northern Scandinavia/Russia i.e. frozen ports, tundra and the like.

Hey, you guys can come up and I teach you some arctic bushcraft. :p
Looks like I will run a great bussiness if the stream shifts. :D
I wonder how cold it will get up here if it get real cold in England. :eek:

cheers
Abbe

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Abbe Osram said:
Hey, you guys can come up and I teach you some arctic bushcraft. :p
Looks like I will run a great bussiness if the stream shifts. :D
I wonder how cold it will get up here if it get real cold in England. :eek:

cheers
Abbe

We'll have your temps and you'll be like Vostok Base, Antarctica in 1997 it was -91 °C (-132 °F)!!!!! Coldest natural temp ever recorded on earth! :eek:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Beer Monster said:
We'll have your temps and you'll be like Vostok Base, Antarctica in 1997 it was -91 °C (-132 °F)!!!!! Coldest natural temp ever recorded on earth! :eek:

No way.....My wifes feet are colder than that............Jon

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Not nearly as cold then as the air when telling SW(sometimes)MBO the figure you've just bid on e-bay for a Ray Mears knife!! :eek:

Sorry!

K

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Beer Monster said:
In fact, Scandinavia gets a huge boost from the Gulf stream, so they too would be very sorely affected. Norwegian ports are 90% ice free in winter, even up in the north, and the Gulf stream is responsible for Bergen having the dubious honour Europe's highest rainfall :eek:
If it went, Norway (less so Sweden, as in the north it is inland and protected by Norwegian high land from the sea) would undergo an enormous change, and could possibly cause a mass migration from the north. If you follow the line of 70 degrees around the globe, you can see that very very few people live on it (it misses most of Siberia, cuts Baffin Island in Canada in half and crosses Greenland, land of 60,000 people) - it's only thanks to the Gulf stream that people can in Norway :)

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
arctic hobo said:
In fact, Scandinavia gets a huge boost from the Gulf stream, so they too would be very sorely affected. Norwegian ports are 90% ice free in winter, even up in the north, and the Gulf stream is responsible for Bergen having the dubious honour Europe's highest rainfall :eek:
If it went, Norway (less so Sweden, as in the north it is inland and protected by Norwegian high land from the sea) would undergo an enormous change, and could possibly cause a mass migration from the north. If you follow the line of 70 degrees around the globe, you can see that very very few people live on it (it misses most of Siberia, cuts Baffin Island in Canada in half and crosses Greenland, land of 60,000 people) - it's only thanks to the Gulf stream that people can in Norway :)

But you guys have a lot of oil and dont have to share it if you dont want, that should keep Norway going for a long time. :D

//Abbe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE