Seal Watching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I was out and about today, seal watching from my canoe, although you can see them about 100yds from the shore. Rhu Marina,Helensburgh, north of Glasgow. Two pups and a few adults. Furry top half, don't know if they are common seals or not. We watched one catch a sea trout, 30ft away.

Nick

539413755_49d11d5356.jpg

539304948_8dbc7c7ec5.jpg

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
They're great arn't they. I've seen quite a few seals when I've been fishing down in Devon and Cornwall. Never managed to get a picture though as they don't stay surfaced for long and I'm busy fishing anyway. They surface to take a look at you and go under and re-surface closer to get a better look at you.
I caught a ballan wrasse once which I didn't want, so I put back in. It took a while for the wrasse to recover and before it could, a seal sufaced and ate it :(
That's happened a few times wtih sea gulls too, when I've put the fish back a seagull swoops down and gets an easy lunch. :eek:

Hi Nick,

I've often thoguth about paddling down there but have never been sure about the current there, esp with mackeral fishing season on us again.

Anyway they are Atlantic Grey seals in the pic, you can tell by the roman nose, common seals have a head like a dog.

Hope this helps

Woodsmoke

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I've often thoguth about paddling down there but have never been sure about the current there, esp with mackeral fishing season on us again.

That was just after high tide. There is an eddy there, but only 1/2 knots, it's mainly over at the ferry yard that you feel the current. Slight ferry glide to cut across the channel, avoiding subs.

Anyway they are Atlantic Grey seals in the pic, you can tell by the roman nose, common seals have a head like a dog.

Ta,

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I was out on the gareloch again, near the Kilcreggan shore, and up popped the fin below, a dolphin or porpoise, as I turned around it jumped but was zoomed out too much and did not get another photo. I was on the SPT ferry that pootles between Helensburgh, Gourrock and Kilcreggan.

590088293_5384d33cfa.jpg

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
A few years back my son and I were on the Medway estuary (out past Nor Marsh for those who know it) when we had one come very close, in fact it touched my paddle while it was at the deepest part of the stroke I didnt say anything because I didnt want to alarm my son. but a couple of seconds later he shouted "dad it just touched my paddle!" Im sure the seal was making sure we didnt stay on its patch too long and believe me it was a big bu**er it kept swimming around and under us until we were out of the channel it used to hang out in. We went out the next weekend but it didnt come close that time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE