Sea survival manual any ideas!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
I am searching for a good sea survival manual. Does anyone has some good books that include the subject of sea survival? There is a Ray Mears episode where he refers to a sea survival manual but i can't rember the title. Any help would be helpful.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I second Sea Survival: A Manual by Dougal Robertson. ISBN 0-275-52760-3

The book is first class but make sure that the copy you buy has the four fold out colour charts in the pocket in the back, they are essential.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
I ordered the sea survival book by Dougal and the Essentials of Sea Survival by Frank Golden. And some others i found on amazon. Thanks for the advice.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I got a copy of: Safety and survival at sea, by Dag Pike

it were only 50p at car boot sale, so msg me your address and you can send me back whatever the postage were

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
of the books i have, safety and survival at sea and the yachtmans emergency handbook are both good. the grab-bag handbook is mostly rubbish.

you can learn alot form reading some of the survivors stories.

many reviews on books over at doug ritter's place. http://www.equipped.com/books.htm#Water

cheers, and.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
look for the USMC water training manual.pdf. its unrestricted but might hard to find as a download. I dont think the site will let me post a 3.6mb attatchment but I can email it to you.

the us civil aviation authority also do a few survival videos you can download which are about 20 mins and around 80mb

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The book by Steve Callahan regarding his epic survival is compelling reading and instills in one the importance of pre-planning and 'The Grab Bag!'

Irrespective of any other factor, mental conditioning may be the deciding factor between life and death.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
look for the USMC water training manual.pdf. its unrestricted but might hard to find as a download. I dont think the site will let me post a 3.6mb attatchment but I can email it to you.

the us civil aviation authority also do a few survival videos you can download which are about 20 mins and around 80mb

I have got the USMC training manual but thanks for the offer.
This is a link http://www.resist.com/USMC_Water_Survival_Course.pdf if it is the same one.

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
Try : Advanced First Aid Afloat : byPeter F Eastman MD
published by Cornell Maritime Press, a U.S. Publisher

Not so much a Survival manual but written by a Naval Surgeon and Yachtsman.
Has a lot of information on first aid situations and how to deal with them with tools at hand found on a boat.Written for the layman with basic first aid knowledge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE