Sea Spinning Rig Advice Kindly Requested

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
Hi Guys

I'm planning on taking my son macky bashing [spinning] as i used to go with my uncle as a kid and loved it

Can anybody advise on a decent spinning set up?

i.e. suitable rod length [8ft?] also any advides makers? would you consider a telescopic type for ease of transport?
line strength [12lb?] is monofilament still okay?
snap swivel size [8?]
any specific lures to use? [mackerel spinners?]
do i need to use a wire leader?
How many lures would you take per trip to cover for any losses?

any other details i should consider?

it's years since i last went fishing and i can't remember the details - any advice will be much appreciated

regards
Max

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
hello 8 ft would be ok but i tend to use 10ft telescopic rod not so much for the distance but lifting your catch clear on rocks.
Line strength is fine i have gone down to 8lb for macky but 12lb is a safe bet.
i never use a swivel i tie it direct but an 8 will be fine in terms of breaking strength (your line will always go first)
lures well i am still a great believer in tobys and dexter wedges (shiny metal ones not too big)
wire leader nope never needed one at all only when piking of fresh water or going for conger in the sea
lure no.. well some days i have never lost one and other days gone through 6 or more depends on the mark.

its great fun to get mackerel this way but you may want to consider a beachcaster set up with feathers as youll cover more distance and land more once you find them..

this set up will also get you bass and small pollock

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
Thanks for the reply - thats very helpful

Regards
Max
hello 8 ft would be ok but i tend to use 10ft telescopic rod not so much for the distance but lifting your catch clear on rocks.
i never use a swivel i tie it direct but an 8 will be fine in terms of breaking strength (your line will always go first)
lures well i am still a great believer in tobys and dexter wedges (shiny metal ones not too big)
wire leader nope never needed one at all only when piking of fresh water or going for conger in the sea
lure no.. well some days i have never lost one and other days gone through 6 or more depends on the mark.

its great fun to get mackerel this way but you may want to consider a beachcaster set up with feathers as youll cover more distance and land more once you find them..

max whitlock

Feb 28, 2010
Teesside
Thanks again for the rely

we caught 3 on our first trip out

my son almost dropped his rod when he hooked the first one!

many thanks again

Max

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE