Review of Shimano Exage mini telescopic travel spinning rod.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
As featured here: http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/2219/groupID/9/categoryID/173/v/bec2ef89-84d8-4ecc-b94d-4d8805fc0219

This rod has been mentioned a few times on the telescopic rod thread, so I thought I'd do a quick review here for those interested. Word on the street is that Shimano have stopped making these little gems, so get one while you can!

First of all, a little pic of this carbon delight:

DSC00114small.jpg

The rod has a two piece handle which screws together, and then the rest of the rod is telescopic that slides onto the handle, which is quite innovative, the result is a tiny packed size which fits nicely into the supplied rod tube. The tube has a protective hard insert and a pouch to fit the reel of choice. I use my small Shakespeare reel (rated 170m of 4 lb nylon) which i have loaded with 120m of 10lb braid line which is about 3 times stronger than nylon for it's diameter and has zero stretch. Also shown are a small selection of lures which will take most predatory sea fish, and probably freshwater too, although pike or zander would need a small wire trace too. Throw in some snap link swivels and forceps for hook removal and you have your entire fishing kit. Don't forget a 'priest' for dispatching the fish quickly should you be eating them. I have shown a suitable DVD for scale purposes. The rod i have is the 2.7m (9ft?) version for a 10-30g casting weight.

The rod is quick and easy to setup and casts with an effortless flick. The longer handle makes life easier when handling the rod and provides good leverage when a fish is on. This weekend I used it for mackerel spinning in the sea at Dorset. It is absolutely ideal for this, and i have no doubt at all that it could handle heavier fish with ease too. The winning macky lure is the bottom one in the pic which caught almost as many as my fly rod (using a small 3cm long silver clouser for those who know) and even a macky on this rod goes like the clappers! Great fun, and great tasting too... Forget feathering with a beachcaster, get a mack on this and it fights like a demon posessed, and as you only catch one at a time, you don't end up with millions in the bag that you can never eat. A word of caution though, studies have shown that mackerel are very sensitive to being handled and the majority that are handled and released will die quickly, so if releasing try to shake them off the hook without touching them. If you have to handle then kill and eat. There's plenty of them in the sea, but that's no reason to kill hundreds of them if you can't use them. I only really take what can be eaten within a few days as that is when they taste best.

Overall, I would thoroughly recommend this rod to anyone who wants an ultra compact rod for the rucksack that is not a toy, but a quality well designed little rod. Don't forget when sea fishing to rinse everything off as soon as possible to prevent rusting.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Thanks for the review Spacemonkey, I have really been considering getting on of the 2.1m versions, the shipping from the UK to USA is such a show stopper though! There really isn't anything I can find in the states that compares to the quality though. I may just take the plunge.
Great review, much appreciated. Cheers!

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
A quick point, if you're going to get one then hurry, as it appears that Shimano have stopped making them or are going to promptly. I got the last one from where I got mine from. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what I heard...

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Nice looking rods! Get one of mine while you can to add to the collection.

I'm now after a decent 6 section fly rod. ANyone have any experiences of these? At the mo' it's a toss between the £150 Redington Wayfarer (but it's only a 7 weight, and i want an 8 or 9) or the Orvis Frequent flyer in a 9 weight for £170.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Forgive my ignorance, but would these type of rods be suitable for fishing in a tidal river? The tides can run up to 10 mtrs. The usual fish caught are salmon, sea trout, flounders and mullet? As you can tell i'm completely new to fishing but have wanted a go for a long time

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
As long as they don't get to big and ambitious, then maybe. Personally, for bigger fish I'd use a stronger rod if i wasn't too experienced. The one's Outdoor girl has could be better for you. I'd take on flounder and mullet on mine though.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Spacemonkey said:

I'm now after a decent 6 section fly rod. ANyone have any experiences of these? At the mo' it's a toss between the £150 Redington Wayfarer (but it's only a 7 weight, and i want an 8 or 9) or the Orvis Frequent flyer in a 9 weight for £170.

HARDY TRAVELLER

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Just a quick one - might be too late. If shimano have stopped making the kit you have reviewed, there may be an alternative...

Lidls were selling telescopic fishing rods here in Germany for 40 Euros. I 'm no fisherman so I don't know if they were any good. I think from some of the other threads around that Lidls will also be selling the same stuff in the UK.

Might be worth a look?

Spacemonkey said:

I've got a Shimano Biocraft STC travel fly rod, it incorporates two lengths of rod into one i.e. mine is both an 8.5 foot AFTM 6 & a 9.5 foot AFTM 7, the difference being a foot long section that goes in just ahead of the handle. I've used it in Scotland & in Canada & found it to be superb, light in the hand & casts well. Have a look at Shimano's website as they also do loads of other travel fly rods as well!

fiacha

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
i ordered the 270 from http://www.tackleshop.co.uk Monday lunchtime, it arrived at my door on Wednesday morning. Considering I live in Ireland, that is fantasic service.

I'll be off to the canal this weekend to try it out. It does look like a great rod for light piking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE