sea shore survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've got 4 of the folding crab creels. I've only used them twice and just had it full of shore crabs (the smallish green crabs) and some shrimps. I ate the shrimps and threw back the crabs, Live prawns/shrimps are good bait by the way too, especially for bass. Hook them through the tail so they keep wriggling and attract the fish. If you have a headlight you can look for them at night in rock pools and at the edge of the tide.Their eyes reflect the light and look like little pin ****** of light looking back at you. Very easy to gather for bait and another meal for yourself if you get enough :) (completely delicious and lovely with a splash of kikkomans soy sauce) Obviously if you hook them through the head they'll die and you won't get the movement.
A good idea is to put out the pots at low tide in between rocks as Grooveski says. Place them carefully amongst the rocks and wedge them into a suitable crevice. don't forget to bait them up of course, using any offal, fish heads, etc from any fish you may have caught or whatever you can get mussels or limpets etc. Place a couple of heavy rocks on top (not too heavy obviously or they'll be crushed) and tie the creel to something like another rock or if theres some metal embedded into the sea bed as there often is, like a bit of old ship or whatever. Make sure it's very secure or the sea will wash it away and you'll lose it.
You just need to remember where you set it, and let the tide come in and go back out again and see what you've got. Not using a bouy will stop any unwanted attention from other people nicking your catch.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I don't know my way round which seaweeds are edible but it's something I fancied learning even before I started fishing. You get loads of different types along just about any rocky coastline, in patches where it suits them best(one type in the lea of a headland, another just off that, another out in the bay...etc, etc)..

I too wish I knew more as they are a great healthy food source. I would happily pay for knowledge/short course. Soay sheep eat it. I also saw some Highland cattle munching them at Bunacaimbe.

Nick

:p Mmmm seaweed, I love it although it has taken me a while to gain the taste.

The easy ones to remember and id are Kelp, (found in deep water) and sea lettuce (which is bright green and often found next to streams running into the sea and bladder wrack.

Beware though as seaweed is low in calorific value however, they are rich in vitamins and minerals which they take from the water they are in. Steer clear of sewage outfalls etc ;)

To prepare...wash in freshwater, cut thinly and fry for a wee while or cut up and add to stews to thicken them...enjoy.

WS

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If your still looking for somewhere, Applecross is a good spot! Varied landscape, and shoreline also has plenty of woodland to hold up in.
Just before leaving the army I was on a survival exercise there, it was really good!
Only thing though I'm not 100% sure if it is accessible land so you'll have to look into that!

I tried these but :p not for me...I tried 2 on separate occassions, the fish one and the venison one...the fish one was yeauch...horrible and hard fish, while the venison was passable...if I try them next time I'll boil them to a pulp like baby food before swallowing! hahahaa

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
LOL! Ah well, I've had them quite a few times - usually open fire cooked in my trusty crusader mess tin - have tried most of them TBH - I enjoyed them all - esp. the venison sausages and the old spot meatballs.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
As on land, life at sea and on the shore is seasonal and, in February its pretty much at a low point before the Spring.
You don’t mention the dates at which you’re going. This will be crucial for shoreline foraging because you will be joining the tidal cycle, like it or not! The best spring tides in Feb are around the 21st – 24th , meaning these will be the lowest low tides this month (8th – 12th are also springs, but not quite as low). Bear in mind that other factors (atmospheric pressure, onshore winds) will also affect how low the tide gets. Times of low water are also important in terms of daylight and time available to go look see. I have access to all UK tide tables, so let me know dates and location and I can find out.
Rod and line fishing is the obvious method. Go equipped for a range of techniques – ledgering, float fishing, spinning. Its mobile and you can chop and change quickly to suit conditions, terrain etc. Don’t get stuck for hours trying at an unproductive spot. Give it an hour or so and move on. Dunno about Scotland, but Dogfish are very common on sediment shores down south now – they’re fast moving scavengers and will usually find a fish or worm bait on the bottom pretty quickly. Don’t bother skinning ‘em, just barbie in the skin which peels off easy when cooked. Pollack and Wrasse might be options for float fishing in rocky weedy areas, but possibly not if its been rough in the days prior. I would say tho’ that even for an experienced sea angler, its quite a challenge to just rock up and fish a strange area successfully – get googling to see if you can find the local beta.
On the rocky shore, mussels, winkles and limpets will be the staples, tho’ the winkles may be holed up in crevices if its been stormy. If you are there on low springs, go armed with a ‘crab hook’ and a torch. A crab hook is simply a bit of steel rod, like 1cm diameter re-bar about 1 metre long with the last 2 to 3 inches bent at right angle. Go look in any v. low overhangs where rock meets sand – you’ll often find edible crabs tucked in at the back – just wrestle the little bu99ers out. They should mostly be hard at the moment i.e. not either about to, or recovering from, a moult – check by squeezing the shell behind the pincers – should be little or no give. Look under largish boulders too, but mind yer back. You may find a few squat lobsters or velvet swimming crabs (ultra aggressive with red eyes). Remember to put all rocks back as you found ‘em.
In terms of veggies – not much on offer I’m afraid. You’ll be extremely lucky to find any tender kelp (eg Laminaria saccharina) at the end of winter and any sea lettuce (Ulva lactuca) is long gone or at best, very small.
Sandy beaches are also worth a look at very low tides – look for small holes or cracks which can betray the presence of surf clams (Spisula solida). I recently gathered enough in an hour for a good meal for 2 (spaghetti a la vongole) . If you can find a sheltered beach with slightly more muddy sand, you may be lucky and get a few razor clams using the tried and trusted salt or brine method – they’re superb eating.
Whatever you do, have fun, observe and learn. The shoreline is, in my opinion, a greatly underused resource in the UK.
Nick

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Loads of great information provided here all thanks. Let us know how you get on leantoo ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE