Sea Fishing Kit (From shore / pier)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blencathra

Dec 12, 2005
North Yorkshire, UK
Taking my little bushcrafters on holiday this summer to cornwall.

Hoping to give them first experience of Sea Fishing, hopefully catch some dinner.

I would like 2 recommendations and know certain folk out there are the experts.

Simple tackle for small children, crabbing line and small rod //reel ?

Something for me. Thinking of fishing from piers rocks, shore. Thought Bass / mackrel etc.. would be good

Need a rod / reel combination, had a lok at diawa wilderness and shimano STC range so far. think I need an all rounder to chuck some weight out, feathers and lures.

Any recommendations ?

Camping in 2 locations, near woolacombe and also near st ives

Cheers buddies

:You_Rock_

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Lidl are currently selling fishing kits for a tenner.(rod, reel,line,lures, weights,floats and hooks) They are meant to be for freshwater but can be adapted for the sea with the right bait. Ideal starter kits for kids and adults alike.They also do a telescopic rod kit for the same money.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
You have a budget of how much?

Personally I'd say the rod you've chosen is inadequate for the task, it's a fly rod better suited to trout fishing.

You would be better to look at purchasing one of the beefier (and longer) rods designed for carp fishing. The market is saturated with them and unlike many other areas of fishing the budget carp rods are very capable and good quality.

I use exactly this, mine's a 4 piece Free Spirit Carp Tamer, which means it fits in a suitcase or holdall and can travel everywhere with me. For a reel I'd say you want to look at the Shimano Biomasters or Aerlex reels, both from surf casting pedigrees. With this combo and some quality 15lb line I've caught bass, carp, catfish, pollack, wrasse, eels you name it.

Take a couple of mackerel feather lines, use leads around 4oz-5oz with a 3lb test curve rod and over for distance work (I'd recommend a 3 1/2 lb test curve). A length of stronger mono (20-30lb) to tie on when fishing over rocks (about a 40 ft length would be adequate).

Use can use lures and chunky spoons to fish for bass and other species. Failing that have a look at travel spinning rods. Like this and use a 3oz lead with that.

A note on rod care. Don't drop it on rocks or let it clatter about, they're fragile and although you won't necessarily notice it you'll have created a weak spot. Don't try and lift a big fish up a cliff using the rod. It'll just snap, especially a travel rod. Lay the rod down and handline it up. Do those two simple things and it'll last you years.

It does depend on your budget in the end though.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
We used to use thunderflash......
rolleye11.gif

Scrimmy

Forager
Mar 11, 2008
Whitley Bay
www.freewebs.com
Mackerel best , caught on spinners, or float fished, both very simple methods, although floats seem to go down better with the younger people, any strong spinner rod will do the trick, the cheapy £10 dont stand chance if you get a mackerel on, so go for more named brands. Cain

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I went pier fishing when I visited the Faroe Islands a couple of years ago, using a couple of spinners (lost some, ***** plants!) and a cheap "beginners" rod from Abu Garcia with a simple open reel to replace the closed crap delivered with the Abu Garcia. Caught about 30 fish of about 30/40cm (12/16") length without any problems :) I believe locals called the species Torsk, which is Cod in English? If I had the money, I would buy a stronger rod but don't really see the need for it when just starting out... Imho: get the hang of it, see what you like and dislike and than buy something better suited if you want.

Personally, for lightweight fishing off a pier, I'd use a Carp rod or even a Bass rod. Couple that with a small multiplier reel like a Penn or an Abu which will give you lots of line capicity (they can take a little bit of practice to get used to though) and use bait for normal fishing (Rag worm/peeler crabs) and feathers/spinners for mackrell and lures or even live sandeel for Bass. there really is a hugh amount of tackle to choose from, so buy the best you can afford.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
You don't need a massive rod for mackerel, they can put up a decent fight on light tackle compared to reeling in 6 at a time on feathers and a beachcaster.

A drop net can be quite an effective thing and is really fun and catches things a lot more regualry than crab lines, and they don't drop off.

Setting out a longline pegged on the beach is alot faster than rod and line fishing, alot more successful, and a lot cheaper. If you just wanted something cheap and small, you could do pretty well with a reel of 15lb line, and some hooks, maybe 1/0 size. For the total of that, you're looking at £2. Weigh down both ends with rocks, and for bait use either mussels found on rocks, worms you dig up, sandeels if you have fast hands, or peeler crabs found under rocks. Plus it gives a bit more variety than just casting a line out and waiting, as you can send kids to each find bait etc. Set it out in the water at low tide, collect at next low tide.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I was holidaying in Cornwall only last week, and went fishing off the rocks for the first time; with a string of feathers and a cheapo rod / reel combo from a shop inTruro.
First cast I had 3 mackeral, then I cast for two hours with no more until suddenly another two, I'm a complete novice but had a good day, the kids were fishing a float and had small pollock on that with a sand eel.

If you want the location and directions give me a pm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE