Scouting - Old Time kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers for the links Mr. Fenna. Especially on the staff. Remember my Uncle who was a Scout leader taking me through all those things and showing me what to do to make a staff. I'd totally forgotten about pre-marking it for use as a scale. All good stuff.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Some interesting ideas there, I like the concept of wrapping cord, fishing line (and hooks) around the staff.

The 'two holes at 90 degrees' idea is daft. Would not be accurate. Far better to use the staff or cord to measure out a 3/4/5 right triangle.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Used as a simple groma it'd be accurate enough to set out a neat camp. The weren't building Roman roads, just making a neat camp. Either sighting or running a line through it would suffice.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thought this may be of interest to some.
knife and axemanship.jpg

Boy's Life (from where this was taken in 1962) is still going. It's changed a bit and like me you may have some trepidation typing it into "Google" but the safe places come up first.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thought this may be of interest to some.
View attachment 35677

Boy's Life (from where this was taken in 1962) is still going. It's changed a bit and like me you may have some trepidation typing it into "Google" but the safe places come up first.

Anybody wishing to subscribe to this magazine be advised: there are two different versions (both safe and produced for young boys/families) The standard version is geared towards 11 year olds and up whereas there's a version geared towards younger kids as well.

Mike_B

Tenderfoot
Dec 21, 2009
Perth, Scotland
Interesting. I can't say I'd accept an axe passed to me in such a way, and anyone seen carrying an axe in that manner wouldn't have remembered waht they'd been taught when I was Scouting. Still, that's an American pamphlet I notice.

Axe carried by the head, ideally sheathed, with the sharp end forward, and handle (if long) in front on shoulder. A trip or fall merely buries the blade.

Passthe axe rather like a knife. Held by the head, sharp side up, handle to the recipient. (Knife held by the blade, sharp side up so it can be seen, handle to the recipient. If pulled accidentally, the back of the blade can't cause injury.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE