Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Sounds interesting.

Likewise the musket balls - I've done a bit of black powder shooting and very impressive it is too. Clouds of smoke everywhere.....

Weather looks like it's going to be cloudy/sunny spells and about 14 degrees on Friday and Sunday, and reasonably sunny and a balmy 17 degrees on Saturday.

Overnight it is going to be COLD on Friday and Saturday night - 4 or 5 degrees. Sunset is about 7.30pm. As you know it's already quite dark at 8pm. The forecast didn't mention overnight/morning mists mists but in September that is always likely. Makes nice photos though.

Looks like there will be plenty of show and tell, which is great. Even better than the kit is the company of like minded outdoorsmen/women. If it is anything like the last meet everyone will come away with a lot of new knowledge and skills.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Bowser said:
Just out of interest, how far is the car park from the camp area?

The main bit we will be parking at is about 50 yards from the camp. At worst you can park this close and unload then move your car a little further away if required. The car parking areas are all on the forest drive which is not a public road and should be pretty safe at night, but as always there are no guarantees.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Hi guys,

its looking less likely that I will be able to attend the meet this weekend, bummer. I may manage a wee day trip with the family on Saturday. I'm really popped but the wishes of my child bearing wife come first, so unless she goes into labour within the next couple of days I don't think I'll be there, heres hoping.

Cheers

JFW

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
What about for a veggie option.

----------------------------------------

SPICY VEGETARIAN CHILE

1 to 5 habanero peppers (your heat preference)
4 carrots
2 stalks of celery
1 granny smith apple (takes the heat off the habanero)
1 red onion
½ spanish onion
2 to 3 cloves of garlic / add more if you wish
4 tablespoons olive oil / more or less – up to you
1 28oz can tomato sauce
1 6oz can tomato paste
2 15oz cans diced tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can pink beans
4 tablespoons black pepper / or to taste
4 tablespoons salt / or to taste
8 tablespoons chili powder / or to taste
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
6 tablespoons of sugar (takes the acid out of the tomato)

Peel then grate the carrots with the large end of the cheese grater. Do the same with the celery (don’t peel me) and the Granny Smith apple.
Dice the onions and slice the garlic. Remove seeds and chop the Habanero peppers into small or large pieces – your preference.

Brown the garlic and the onions for about 7-10 minutes. (Note: be careful not to overbrown garlic!)

Add the grated carrots and celery and cook for a few minutes more.

Add spices, beans, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Let the paste dissolve into the sauce then add the sugar. Then add the chopped Habaneros and simmer for 20 minutes.

If you are using 5 this chili is super hot. If you like it this way forget the Granny Smith. Add the Granny Smith apple and cook for 10 minutes more. The Granny Smith gives it even more body and a thick Chile results.

Makes Five Quarts

Serve and Enjoy

-----------------------------------------------
I am sure I could get these ingrediants in Glasgow

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Originaly posted by Muggins
Yeah, M74>M73>A9(M9) Junction 10
....then A84 to just past Callander
...then A821 which will be signposted Aberfoyle.

Sorry Big Lizard! :eek:
M73>A80(M80)>M9 Junction 10

Jeez, I work for the crew that look after these roads and spend all day making maps of them. You'd think after five years I'd know my way around. :rolleyes:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Could everyone please glance at my thread on Other Chatter 'attention Scottish/North English bushcrafters'.

Thanks.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Because it looks like poor weather conditions I've decided to knock the neolithic pottery making on the head. There's no way clay pots will be dry enough for firing in the time we have available. The rest of the craft skills are still on though. See you all there.

Eric

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
No worries Eric.

Rain is not ideal for archery either - feather fletchings get damp and accuracy is impaired. At least that is the excuse I shall be putting forward for my lousy shooting....

I'm sure we'll have plenty to do anyway. The jeep is packed. My boys are so excited they can't sleep. Should be a good weekend regardless of weather.

I will have to leave mid-morning on Sunday as Ross has a Beaver Scout event to go to. I fear it won't be quite in the same league as a weekend of bushcraft in the Trossachs.

Look forward to seeing you all tomorrow/Saturday.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like kayaks........with spray decks :rolleyes: :D

It's a beautiful morning here, first frost hit the garden though. Going to go and cram everything, including sons, into the car. They're gonna kill me over the music I've packed :eek: I do however have a kilo of tablet ;)

JFW if we don't see you this time, we will the next; all good wishes for the event and best of health to both. :)

Cheers,
Toddy

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
My 5 year old son has expressed an interest in coming (as of this morning up until now he had always said no). This will be his first experience of outdoor living. Is it ok for him to come along?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I'm sure no-one would object. My two are aged 6 and 7. Ross, the 7 year old had a fantastic time at the last meet.

It is going to be cold tonight - I've packed extra blankets for them.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Thanks Toddy,

I hope you all have a great weekend and the weather is kind - it's a glorious day at the moment so at least you'll get your bashas up in the dry....
Enjoy yourselves - jealous.

Cheers

JFW

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE