Scottish Meet Up!! - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Grooveski said:
The site looks pretty as a picture. Way to go John.
Can just picture it as a hive of activity with the loch and projectile corner to relax in. :D

As soon as I saw the range I started just making up the arrows that I'd picked up materials for to use on the day. Having plenty and doing a mass evening arrow hunt will probably be better than worrying about every stray shot as they happen. :)

I have a 90cm target butt so hopefully we'll not have too many lost arrows - depending on range, anyway. In countries where bowhunting is legal, most quarry is taken at 20 yards or less, so in terms of 'bushcraft archery' short range is the name of the game.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
MagiKelly said:
At 6pm the gate of the forest drive is locked. I will have a key though and can let you in the out gate (got that:rolleyes: ). This gate is much nearer to the camp site and as it is after the closing time the one way system will not be in effect.

Just to confirm, are we all heading for the 'Youth Campsite' and is the forest drive gate at the parking area just south of said campsite?

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
sandbender said:
Just to confirm, are we all heading for the 'Youth Campsite' and is the forest drive gate at the parking area just south of said campsite?

Yes we are heading for the Youth Campsite. If you are arriving after 10am and before 6pm you will have to drive right round the forest drive. It is one way and the Youth Camp SIte is almost at the end. If you are arriving after 6pm or before 10am then you need to come in the out gate :rolleyes: and it is a much shorter drive. Coming from Aberfoyle the entrance to the Forest drive is pretty obvious and the exit is 1.7miles further along the Duke's Pass.

I am hoping that someone with the proper maps of the area may help by posting the actual co-ordinates for the site for those with GPS.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
MagiKelly said:
I am hoping that someone with the proper maps of the area may help by posting the actual co-ordinates for the site for those with GPS.

Grid ref: NN519061

X: 251900m

Y: 706100m

Lat: 56:13:28N (56.2245)

Lon: 4:23:25W (-4.3902)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
The forecast is looking good- sunny or sunny spells for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, perhaps overnight showers on Saturday night. The BBC claim that Friday will have an overnight low of 3 degrees (brrrrrr!) but as accuweather are predicting 13 degrees, I wonder if this is a misprint. Or maybe accuweather have got it wrong. Friday night will be fairly clear so we should have some moonlight.

Please note long range forecasts are non too reliable, and the site is right on the Highland Boundary fault - so has its own microclimate anyway.

I was outdoors yesterday and got a few harvest mite bites. Boots/tucked in trousers/repellent may help. In any case, it is tick country.

I'll be packing the car the night before to try and arrive asap after 7pm on Friday. I might need a bit of help getting the target off the roofbars on the jeep. Can we park close to the campsite?

A few fire extinguishers/ water buckets might be prudent?

I will bring some medical kit giveaways for those who missed the last meet.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I will be in the area by Thursday evening, is anyone going up earlier to set up? I don't mind giving a hand if it helps.

Also what's happening about food, are we sorting our own or doing something communal? Do you want me to bring any of my heavy cookware? ie. large cauldrons, tripod, trivets etc.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Can you bring a couple of cauldrons Wayland? I don't know if we're doing the communal thing like last time but it would be nice. I know there's a couple of haunches of venison being brought and we could either do them in pots or roast in a pit but the cauldrons will be good for boiling water for drinks if nothing else, so yes please.

As far as food goes, just bring stuff for yourself to eat and some veggies or whatever for the communal pot. I did a nice pottage last time and there's no reason why we can't do the same again. I'm sure there'll be plenty of helping hands.

I'm bringing a few massive tarps so we can have a food prep area as well as a covered demo area. I'll also bring water containers and a large ceramic communal water filter.

See you there, and if you have any reenactment stuff to sell or swap, bring that too.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE