Scottish Dumpy chickens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
HI folks,

Just a quick question.

Has anybody kept/ had any experience with Scottish dumpy's?

We are looking to get some chickens in after a few years of having none. So far we have English game,Welsummers, Moran, Brahmas, Silkies, Wyandotte's, Shamo and Orpingtons.

This time we want to try something different, we saw them when visiting the folk museum and thought they might be what we were after. Basically were looking for a table/ laying bird thats hardy to our inclement weather. We will be getting a couple of Silkies as "Sitters" also.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

All the best

Craig

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The thought about making a comment about my short X from Glasgow comes to mind but I'll be kind and not drag her name through the dirt!:eek:
Have kept chickens Wayyyy back but never those. Hope you get the info you're after and no more silly comments from fools like me!:rolleyes:

Will ask 'round the village, they're are a few fanciers and someone may know what they're like.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought the dumpies made good clockin hens ? and it was the long legged sports that were used for table birds ? If I recall correctly though it was the long legged ones that laid most eggs. Something weird about their genetics. Chicks that die in the egg too.
I've never kept hens, but my g.Grandpa bred creepies (the Dumpies) and Scots Greys for show...and Dandy Dinmont dogs :)
Generations later me and my cousins have still got the silver mounted ornamental things he won at the shows.
I remember my Granny calling the hens 'gentle'....not something usually associated with hens. Good for gardens type hens. They certainly seem to be hardy enough; supposedly the Picts had them, and the other Celtic folks had dumpy type fowl too. They're easiily caught, so you need to be aware of cats and foxes.

M

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Many thanks folks.

pwb, Goatboy: cheers chaps

I didn't think it would be so hard to get hold of them as well specifically up here. Havent even seen any at the shows.

Toddy, that is an interesting point. We normally get in 2 different breeds, 1 for each job but having a good all rounder is certainly what we are after this time. It was a fox and a badger who killed off our last lot. We hadn't seen any foxes for years and stupidly didn't take the right steps to ensure the pen was fox proof. He had about 3/4 of them and only carried of 2. As we were building a new pen, they were in a temporary run and a badger had the rest, unmistakeable as there were tracks and fur all over the place. Dont often see both around in the same area.

All the best

Craig

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fox and three badgers in my garden on Sunday night; and the fox and one badger have been dancing around each other under the bird feeder for the past several weeks. I suspect if there's food; they'll turn up.
Must admit I'd never heard of a badger taking hens though. I know that if they can be bothered they can deal with hedgehogs.

14697667377_355808cecb_z.jpg

14883870982_c78a596405_z.jpg

I have others of the two of them together, but I took them on a wet, windy night, and through the window, so not that good.

Best of luck with the hens this time round. If the fox knows they're there though you'll need to be sharp.

atb,
M

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Great photos,

Yeah I didnt think they would be bothered with chickens either, until then.

We are certainly taking steps to fox proof the place. The main one being digging a trench around the chicken yard and putting in a foundation wall. Also the pen will be right next to the dog run so that will be another deterrent.

atb

Craig

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE