Scandi Words (No, not Grinds)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bearbait

We've all come across the odd Scandi word being adopted into English usage such as hygge.

I came across another recently that, I think, many of us chaps and chapesses would say "Oh yes please! In our dreams.". And that word is kalsarikännit. This apparently means 'drinking beer on your own at home in your underwear with no intention of going out'.

So succinct.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Finnish.
Finland is not a Scandinavian country. Nordic yes. If I may be pedantic!

We coming from those countries find it amusing when foreigners try to understand the meaning of certain expressions, it is very difficult. These expressions are intimately connected to the psyche and culture. It is incredibly difficult to give a meaningful translation.
Hygge. Lagom. Sisu. Fredags mys.

If you use the word 'hygge' to a Swede, be prepared to get a funny look, as the word 'hygge' means a clearcut part of forest, a clearing.
:)

Quite a few people here use foreign words in the wrong meaning as it means in the original language, or use a foreign word plus the translation.

I should add that we are very flattered by you trying to embrace the nice parts of our culture and heritage!
So please go and buy a packet or two of Vasa rye bread, a pack of Havarti and Jarlsberg plus a bottle of Finlandia and enjoy!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE